Author Topic: Speeding up the Ingest...  (Read 5180 times)

Offline tombearyphotography

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Speeding up the Ingest...
« on: May 08, 2016, 11:53:56 AM »
Is there settings i can change in Preferences so that my Ingest will be as fast as possible? ..... i find my Ingest can be slow to start and then sometimes can be slow to ingest (even with a fast card/ingesting locked photos only)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Speeding up the Ingest...
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 05:29:40 PM »
Is there settings i can change in Preferences so that my Ingest will be as fast as possible? ..... i find my Ingest can be slow to start and then sometimes can be slow to ingest (even with a fast card/ingesting locked photos only)

Generally, the speed of Ingest is limited by the speed of your card, card reader, card reader interface, and the speed of the destination disk.  There are no settings in PM that will improve this.

-Kirk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 05:35:59 AM »
thanks Kirk ....

Does 'Generate high quality thumbnails' in the Contact Sheet preferences have any effect on the speed on Ingest?

....i'm using pretty fast Lexar cards and a Lexar card reader with a retina mac so i'm still trying to figure out where my problem is. It must be something on my mac then which is slowing the Ingest. 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 08:36:45 AM »
Does 'Generate high quality thumbnails' in the Contact Sheet preferences have any effect on the speed on Ingest?

No.

....i'm using pretty fast Lexar cards and a Lexar card reader with a retina mac so i'm still trying to figure out where my problem is. It must be something on my mac then which is slowing the Ingest.

If you copy the files with the Finder, do they copy appreciably faster?  PM will always be slightly slower than a straight file copy due to its need to process images for metadata but this processing can handle hundreds of images per second so it usually causes no appreciable difference in time to copy a card's images.

-Kirk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 04:29:02 PM »
thats something i haven't tried yet ..... will do it before my next ingest to compare

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 09:58:44 PM »
thats something i haven't tried yet ..... will do it before my next ingest to compare

If you're going to compare one after another, please eject the card between runs.  Otherwise the system's unified disk cache will skew the results.

-Kirk