Author Topic: EXIF Data being Stripped  (Read 2660 times)

Offline love@melissa-mercado.com

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
EXIF Data being Stripped
« on: May 16, 2016, 11:23:09 AM »
Hey Y'all.

So I am currently working: CR2 > PSD > JPGs

I use PM to output from PSD to my final JPG delivery to my clients.

I use PM to apply my MetaData and update EXIF.

The PSDs retain most Exif + MetaData as it was captured.

When I output the JPGs from PM (Command+S) and output various sizes of JPGs, PM is stripping more of my EXIF, specifically my Serial #s. I shoot several cameras during shoots and this is valuable information for me.  Option to preserve it is being checked.

I used to work CR2 > JPG and manipulate the JPG and the data from PS was always preserved.

Any help?

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: EXIF Data being Stripped
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 01:16:41 PM »
When I output the JPGs from PM (Command+S) and output various sizes of JPGs, PM is stripping more of my EXIF, specifically my Serial #s. I shoot several cameras during shoots and this is valuable information for me.  Option to preserve it is being checked.

I believe Canon is storing the serial number in its Maker Note (the proprietary part of Exif).  The earlier Exif specification did not have serial number as a possible Exif field and so the manufacturers have relegated this serial number to the Maker Note (some newer cameras write the serial number now in the standard Exif area).  When PM (or even Photoshop) saves a JPG, it does not preserve the Maker Note.  PM will only preserve the Maker Note when saving a JPG from another JPG (and you have asked to preserve Exif).  When saving a JPG from a PSD, PM has to "manufacture" the Exif table and it only writes the fields it stores (e.g. some Exif fields PM doesn't care about).

I recommend that you store this serial number {serial} in some unused IPTC/XMP field during Ingest (using the IPTC Stationery Pad) and then later you can access it with the variable for that field.  For example, Special Instructions and then use {instructions} or {inst} to access the value.  Or you could shove it in the filename with a rename (e.g. "{serial}-{frame4}")

HTH!

--dennis

Offline love@melissa-mercado.com

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: EXIF Data being Stripped
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 01:54:48 PM »
Thanks Dennis!