Author Topic: Images emailed from PM to myself are very pixelated  (Read 9351 times)

Offline neils

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Images emailed from PM to myself are very pixelated
« on: May 14, 2016, 07:33:23 AM »
Hello PM,

This was never an issue until lately.  MBP, 10.9.5, Intel core 7, PM V 5.0 build 17338      I've been emailing images to myself and others from PM for years.  For myself  to use on Instagram and for others to see samples or examples of an image.  Lately the images I mail are so pixleated they are useless, they even appear bad on an iPhone screen.

I haven't changed any of my settings the image quality has just changed.  I use either a JPG source or ask to use embedded jpg preview.  The camera has been a Nikon D3 for ages.  It makes no difference what size I set the image mailed to.  No setting I've always used or have experimented with has improved the images.   In the past the quality of what I mailed was excellent.   

Did something change in PM?   I find nothing in preferences I need to reset or change.   

Thanks

Neil

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Images emailed from PM to myself are very pixelated
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 01:43:09 PM »
This was never an issue until lately.  MBP, 10.9.5, Intel core 7, PM V 5.0 build 17338      I've been emailing images to myself and others from PM for years.  For myself  to use on Instagram and for others to see samples or examples of an image.  Lately the images I mail are so pixleated they are useless, they even appear bad on an iPhone screen.

I haven't changed any of my settings the image quality has just changed.  I use either a JPG source or ask to use embedded jpg preview.  The camera has been a Nikon D3 for ages.  It makes no difference what size I set the image mailed to.  No setting I've always used or have experimented with has improved the images.   In the past the quality of what I mailed was excellent.   

Did something change in PM?   I find nothing in preferences I need to reset or change.   

Nothing has changed in regards to output in the email feature.

I'd like to see your settings.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline neils

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 05:13:00 PM »
Kirk,

So you want a screenshot of the window that opens with the email options correct?    I'll have a go at that.

Neil

Offline neils

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 05:18:39 PM »
Krik,

Here is the screenshot.  This is how I've always done if.  Maybe I make the file size a little smaller but its always worked.    Many jobs I shoot RAW on one CF card and Med'fine jpg on the other (Nikon D3).   I often just send the med/fine jpg.

Neil

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 05:33:34 PM »
Neil,

Here is the screenshot.  This is how I've always done if.  Maybe I make the file size a little smaller but its always worked.    Many jobs I shoot RAW on one CF card and Med'fine jpg on the other (Nikon D3).   I often just send the med/fine jpg.

Settings look fine.  I'd like to have access to a source image that (with your settings) reproduces the problem.  If it is not too large in size then it can be posted here, otherwise you'll have to provide it to me via something like DropBox or I can give you FTP server information and you can upload it there.

-Kirk

Offline neils

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 03:44:54 AM »
Kirk

Here is a typical jpg I'd send off

Neil

Offline neils

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 03:48:10 AM »
That image would of course be a full size as the Med/fine came out of camera.  I'd have made it a "large" file in the email window.

Neil

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 09:56:07 AM »
Neil,

That image would of course be a full size as the Med/fine came out of camera.  I'd have made it a "large" file in the email window.

Can I see the same image as it would appear in an email produced by PM?  Email it to yourself and then post the image here, please.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline neils

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 06:15:29 PM »
OK here is that same image #36, mailed as a large jpg to myself from PM

Neil

Offline neils

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 06:17:37 PM »
Odd, an original size jpg of 29xxx kb (if I remember right ) becomes 19KB?   and is supposed dot still be large?    How does that happen. 

Neil

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 06:46:33 PM »
Have you accidentally changed the "Image Size" drop down menu in Apple Mail? It is easily done, and it the defaults to the last used setting. It's at the top right of the message body in the New Message window and you'll want it to say "Actual Size".

Offline neils

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 07:02:26 PM »
Somewhere in this window?  I don't see it. 

I never ever use Apple Mail of anything, I'd rather PM just go to Yahoo when I mail but I don't know how to do that or if I can.

Neil

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 08:21:02 PM »
Neil,

OK here is that same image #36, mailed as a large jpg to myself from PM

That is a very small image.  To prove that it is PM that is causing the small image to be generated we can look at the cache folder where the image is stored.  In the Finder's Go menu, choose "Go to Folder..."

Paste the following into the "Go to the folder:" dialog:

~/Library/Caches/Photo Mechanic/cache/attachments

There should be one or more folders with numbered names.  Open the folder(s) until you find your image.  Check the size of the image.  If it is large in size then the problem lies elsewhere.  If it is small, then we'll have to find out how PM is managing to make a small image.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2016, 08:24:37 PM »
Neil,

Somewhere in this window?  I don't see it. 

I never ever use Apple Mail of anything, I'd rather PM just go to Yahoo when I mail but I don't know how to do that or if I can.

It is not possible for PM to send images via web mail services.

My Apple Mail application does offer an option to control image size.  It is on the right side of the email message window below the message subject field.  See the attached image.

-Kirk

Offline neils

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2016, 04:04:04 AM »
I'll check the Cache later after work.   

I have no image size box under subject.  Maybe I need to have an image to send?  I'll do that.

Neil