Author Topic: code replacement and renaming  (Read 3668 times)

Offline Welt

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
code replacement and renaming
« on: May 15, 2016, 06:22:36 AM »
Hello,

I am trying to ingest and rename files with the following string:

XXX_{year2}{month0}{day0}_{filenamebase:-4,4}\{serialnum}\

\{serialnum}\ should be used for code replacement to differentiate the file names by a specific letter according to cameras used.

The code replacement file shows serial number in the first raw and specific letter in the second raw. The code replacement works perfectly if I put in a description field in the IPTC panel. But it does not work in the rename field in the ingest dialogue.

The result is that I just see \\ as part of the new file name instead of the specific letter.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Pat

PS: This is PM 5 build 17338 (df27633) on Mac OS 10.11.4
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 06:25:42 AM by Welt »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: code replacement and renaming
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 01:44:17 PM »
Pat,

I am trying to ingest and rename files with the following string:

XXX_{year2}{month0}{day0}_{filenamebase:-4,4}\{serialnum}\

\{serialnum}\ should be used for code replacement to differentiate the file names by a specific letter according to cameras used.

The code replacement file shows serial number in the first raw and specific letter in the second raw. The code replacement works perfectly if I put in a description field in the IPTC panel. But it does not work in the rename field in the ingest dialogue.

The result is that I just see \\ as part of the new file name instead of the specific letter.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

PS: This is PM 5 build 17338 (df27633) on Mac OS 10.11.4

Please post your code replacement text file.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

-Kirk

Offline Welt

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 03:23:51 PM »
Kirk,

I guess I found part of the explanation. When I ingest DNG from any camera everything works fine. When I ingest JPG as they come out of one specific camera I run into the problem with the code replacement. When I ingest DNG from that specific camera everything works fine again.

But: even when I ingest the JPG the code replacement works in the IPTC panel but not in the rename dialogue in the ingest panel. Sorry, this observation was wrong. PM can't get the serial number out of the JPG and for that reason seemingly the code replacement does not work with JPG. (see postscriptum)

So I guess it has nothing to do with the code replacement file but with the JPG. I enclose the code replacement file nonetheless.

Best,
Pat

PS: If I ingest DNG and JPG for that specific camera together, the code replacement does not work in the ingest-rename-field for JPG and for DNG. But it works in IPTC-panel-fields for the DNG but not for the JPG.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 04:42:31 PM by Welt »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 08:01:10 AM »
Pat,

So I guess it has nothing to do with the code replacement file but with the JPG. I enclose the code replacement file nonetheless.

Could you post a sample JPEG file?  Or a link to one?

-Kirk

Offline Welt

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 01:39:15 AM »
Here is a simple JPG, directly from the camera.
Pat

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 10:42:22 AM »
It looks like Leica chose not to put the serial number in the JPEG for that particular model (Q typ 116).  In the DNG Leica is storing this in the DNG-defined serial number tag, which of course isn't present in a JPEG.

We've added better support in the next build of PM for a number of Leica models including the Q by reading the maker notes.  Some Leica models store the serial number in the maker note in binary (not text), but not this model.  The only piece of info we can glean from this model's maker note is the original filename (which obviously is available at ingest anyway).

Sorry!

The only thing I can think of is to store the serial number with the copyright or user info if that camera allows you to do that.

--dennis

Offline Welt

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 03:45:37 AM »
Dennis,
thanks.
Pat