Author Topic: Sidecar files for tif/jpeg  (Read 2466 times)

Offline temm31

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Sidecar files for tif/jpeg
« on: May 20, 2016, 01:49:49 AM »
I've searched quite a bit on this matter and as i understand it PM can't create xmp sidecar files for tif/jpeg images.

This creates alot of hassle for my workflow, since after every shoot (we have mixed raw and jpeg images) all images are downloaded to my computer and backed up to the cloud.
After that i start rating/tagging the images and all jpeg images are changed (since xmp is embedded into the jpeg) and have to be uploaded again.

Isn't it possible to have an option to use sidecar files for tif and jpeg images? I'm using Capture One for post processing and it creates sidecar files for raw and jpeg's so it would be an extra bonus if i could also sync xmp info between PM and CO.

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Sidecar files for tif/jpeg
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 08:17:00 AM »
I've searched quite a bit on this matter and as i understand it PM can't create xmp sidecar files for tif/jpeg images.

This creates alot of hassle for my workflow, since after every shoot (we have mixed raw and jpeg images) all images are downloaded to my computer and backed up to the cloud.
After that i start rating/tagging the images and all jpeg images are changed (since xmp is embedded into the jpeg) and have to be uploaded again.

Isn't it possible to have an option to use sidecar files for tif and jpeg images? I'm using Capture One for post processing and it creates sidecar files for raw and jpeg's so it would be an extra bonus if i could also sync xmp info between PM and CO.

This won't be done in PM because both JPEG and TIFF are container formats and it is expected by nearly every program in existence that metadata be embedded in the container.  Capture One is breaking the standard.

-Kirk

Offline robert s.

• View Profile
Re: Sidecar files for tif/jpeg
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 09:21:40 AM »
Hy, I also use CO beside PM and  it works well without xmp files.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

Greetings from Germany,
Robert

Hope is not the conviction that something wil turn out well,
but the cercainty, that someting makes sense, regardless of how it turns out.