Author Topic: rotation problems  (Read 7754 times)

Offline lathompson

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
rotation problems
« on: February 19, 2007, 03:34:58 PM »
I'm assuming that this forum is directed to the support staff. Here are my 2 problems.

I'm evaluating your program and working with the latest version today... I'm confused by the rotation command. I select 20 images to rotate as a batch operation, go to >tools>apply rotation to files> then I get a popup box explaining the conditions of rotation, ending with "Click ok to rotate your images". Then, I click and the popup box disappears, nothing happens with the images as they remain un-rotated. Am I missing something? I need this function. Rotating one at a time is not an option.

Also, when do you anticipate fixing this program to always highlight the working folder shown in the file list to the left of the images? And can the complete path to the active folder be shown at the top or bottom somewhere? Other than these two problems, I love this program.

Thanks,
Larry

Offline dbrouse

• View Profile
    • DC Corporate Headshots
Re: rotation problems
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 03:54:05 PM »
SOunds like you're doing a lossless rotation.  Are the images already being viewed in the correct orientation? If so, the lossless rotation is just being applied to the original file so that when it's opened later it opens correctly. 

If you just want to rotate the way the thumbnail is viewed then just use IMAGE-->ROATE CCW (or CW)

Does this help

P.S. I do not work for CamerBits...

Delane B. Rouse/Rouse Photography Group, LLC
Mac OS: Version 10.7.4, Build 12713

Offline lathompson

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 04:07:07 PM »
Okay, that's unique but it doesn't make sense to only rotate the originals and not the thumbs. Afterall, the thumbs only serve the purpose of viewing and making decisions so if you're going to rotate, you wouldn't want to rotate one without the other.

I can understand rotating the thumbs only, saving the originals for another time, but this doesn't make sense.

BTW, I just now checked the originals and none were rotated by that action. Thanks for your suggestion.

lt

Offline dbrouse

• View Profile
    • DC Corporate Headshots
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 04:11:44 PM »
What OS are you using?  Also...what camera (make, model) are you shoooting?

dbr

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 04:20:35 PM »
Larry,

I'm assuming that this forum is directed to the support staff. Here are my 2 problems.

Kind of.  Mostly the actual developers like me answer the questions.

Quote from: lathompson
I'm evaluating your program and working with the latest version today... I'm confused by the rotation command. I select 20 images to rotate as a batch operation, go to >tools>apply rotation to files> then I get a popup box explaining the conditions of rotation, ending with "Click ok to rotate your images". Then, I click and the popup box disappears, nothing happens with the images as they remain un-rotated. Am I missing something? I need this function. Rotating one at a time is not an option.

Are the images directly out of the camera?

Also, when do you anticipate fixing this program to always highlight the working folder shown in the file list to the left of the images?

The issue is that showing the folder isn't what all people want all of the time, even if they want it some of the time.  Also, it can take a fair amount of time to show the path.  If for instance we made the change to show the path in the Navigator each time the tabs changed, then some would be upset about how long it takes to switch between two contact sheets.

I think the best thing would be to add a contextual menu to the tabs that has an item titled "Show folder in Navigator".

And can the complete path to the active folder be shown at the top or bottom somewhere? Other than these two problems, I love this program.

If you select a photo in a contact sheet then the status text at the bottom will change to include the path.  One thing you can do that may be of use to you is right-click a photo and choose "Reveal in Windows Explorer" and you'll get a Windows Explorer window open with the photo highlighted.

-Kirk

Offline lathompson

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 06:34:57 AM »
Larry,

Kind of.  Mostly the actual developers like me answer the questions.

Are the images directly out of the camera?

Also, when do you anticipate fixing this program to always highlight the working folder shown in the file list to the left of the images?

The issue is that showing the folder isn't what all people want all of the time, even if they want it some of the time.  Also, it can take a fair amount of time to show the path.  If for instance we made the change to show the path in the Navigator each time the tabs changed, then some would be upset about how long it takes to switch between two contact sheets.

I think the best thing would be to add a contextual menu to the tabs that has an item titled "Show folder in Navigator".

And can the complete path to the active folder be shown at the top or bottom somewhere? Other than these two problems, I love this program.

If you select a photo in a contact sheet then the status text at the bottom will change to include the path.  One thing you can do that may be of use to you is right-click a photo and choose "Reveal in Windows Explorer" and you'll get a Windows Explorer window open with the photo highlighted.

-Kirk

First, I'm using Windows XP and shoot with Nikons, D1X, D70s,D100.
The images are directly out of the camera, having been taken off the CF card using Nikon View. Perhaps this is happening because I didn't use PM to "ingest" the images (is that the right term you use for off-loading the CF cards)?

Kirk, are you saying that showing the highlighted folder is a low priority due to it slowing down the navigator? With all due respect, the simple program ACDsee (consumer version, not the pro version) is not slowed down by this effect. I understand that some things that seem simple are not, however this doesn't seem to be one of them. Also, opening a Windows Explorer view seems to defeat the purpose of the PM contact sheet.

Adding a contextual menu to the tabs would seem to be a good plan. My reasons for seeing the path or for seeing which folder I'm working requires a rather complex explanation. My images are used is several different applications and get tuned differently for other purposes. It's important to me to be able to glance and make sure I'm working in the right folder. I suppose I will have to make some changes in my workflow, but this will be difficult for me to give up. Right now, it is pretty hard to imagine that I can find a workaround for it. We'll see.

Oh, BTW, when viewing images on the contact sheet, can I edit the original images by drag/dropping the thumbs to another folder in the navigator window to the left?

Thank you for your help!
lt

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 07:08:12 AM »
Larry,

First, I'm using Windows XP and shoot with Nikons, D1X, D70s,D100.
The images are directly out of the camera, having been taken off the CF card using Nikon View. Perhaps this is happening because I didn't use PM to "ingest" the images (is that the right term you use for off-loading the CF cards)?

Yes, Ingest is the feature, but I doubt it would make any difference how you got your images onto your computer unless the method you used modified the images during the download in some significant way.  Could you share a small set of your images that are not working with the rotation tool?

Kirk, are you saying that showing the highlighted folder is a low priority due to it slowing down the navigator? With all due respect, the simple program ACDsee (consumer version, not the pro version) is not slowed down by this effect. I understand that some things that seem simple are not, however this doesn't seem to be one of them.

No.  It is just a low priority feature because there are dozens of higher priority features left to work on ahead of your desired feature.

Also, opening a Windows Explorer view seems to defeat the purpose of the PM contact sheet.

I gave that bit of information to you in the hope that it might help you in some way.  I did not describe it as the solution to your issue.

Adding a contextual menu to the tabs would seem to be a good plan. My reasons for seeing the path or for seeing which folder I'm working requires a rather complex explanation. My images are used is several different applications and get tuned differently for other purposes. It's important to me to be able to glance and make sure I'm working in the right folder. I suppose I will have to make some changes in my workflow, but this will be difficult for me to give up. Right now, it is pretty hard to imagine that I can find a workaround for it. We'll see.

Oh, BTW, when viewing images on the contact sheet, can I edit the original images by drag/dropping the thumbs to another folder in the navigator window to the left?

I'm not sure what you mean, but doing that operation would either copy or move the files you dragged to that folder.  No edit would occur.

If you're willing to share some of your images that do not rotate, please contact me privately by clicking on my name to the left of this message.  I will send you server upload info.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline lathompson

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 10:42:53 AM »

your answer:
I'm not sure what you mean, but doing that operation would either copy or move the files you dragged to that folder.  No edit would occur.

_____

Sorry, *edit* was the wrong word. I meant to say can I *move* the original images from the folder they are in to another folder.

I have PMed you to arrange sending some images.

Offline dbrouse

• View Profile
    • DC Corporate Headshots
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 11:46:04 AM »
Sorry, *edit* was the wrong word. I meant to say can I *move* the original images from the folder they are in to another folder.

YES...you can select images in teh contact sheets and move or copy them to to other folders.

-dbr

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2007, 03:48:20 PM »

Also, when do you anticipate fixing this program to always highlight the working folder shown in the file list to the left of the images? And can the complete path to the active folder be shown at the top or bottom somewhere? Other than these two problems, I love this program.

OK, the issue here was that the images come from a D1X which does not have an orientation sensor in the camera body.  So the solution is to first soft-rotate the images, and then use the Apply rotation to JPEGs tool.

HTH,

-Kirk