Author Topic: ACR needs a BIG upgrade?  (Read 4503 times)

Offline JonHob

• View Profile
ACR needs a BIG upgrade?
« on: June 11, 2016, 09:58:41 PM »
Is it just me or does anyone else fine ACR a pain to use? I have used Lr for many years and know the two are basically the same 'editor' but I find Lr vastly better to work in and ACR has an old and antiquated interface?

Why are all the tools on the top left of the screen and not on the top right? The Crop tool isn't as slick to use as Lr's and there no real zoom tool like 'Z' in Lr (I don't think?). And that grey background is yuck!! (Haven't found a Wsy to change it yet?)

I think it also lacks Lr's Export section which would speed things up. And then there's the small boxes for the Sharpening, Curves and HSL for example. Why not make them a bit bigger? And the 'pins' for adjusting the sliders are too small IMHO.

Obviously, photographers working 'in the field' are never actually considered when these apps are made. Time to PM editor to be built in?? 

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: ACR needs a BIG upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 04:52:21 AM »
Hi JonHob,

Interesting, though I completely disagree :)

I actually like ACR much better than LR. Sure, some things can/need to be updated (though the last update already made it look lots better , with a more uniform – grey – user interface, just like the rest of Photoshop). Note too that changing the ACR interface colour is easy: just change the Photoshop interface to the colour you want and ACR will follow that.

Tools in ACR have a more “natural” shortcut (that is, IF you're used to Photoshop itself), for instance to start cropping, you press C, just like in Photoshop (in LR that is 'R', how thought of that???). I also very much dislike the fact that all tools are in one gigantic panel, I always have to search for the tool I want to use… With ACR it's just one click on the tool symbol.

Zooming too, I find much easier in ACR; the standard shortcuts of CMD+0, CMD+ALT+0, etc all work (try those in LR, and unexpected things happen, heck CMD+Numeric + doesn't even work in LR on my Mac…)

Sure ACR lacks some things, when compared to LR, but it isn't supposed to have them anyway; ACR is just the raw editor. And that is what I appreciate about it too. I never use the exporter from LR for instance…

Funny you complain about the size of some of the controls in ACR, that was precisely my complaint with LR… Now they are more on par (though they are still bigger than in LR!). But at least you can easily change settings with the keyboard (what I mostly do anyway).

Seeing that you and I completely disagree about the user interface, goes to show that perhaps they did listen to photographers in the field, perhaps just not you ;) I for one am glad that there is a choice between LR and ACR (I use both for their strengths, but prefer ACR for editing).

Note: given that the raw processor in LR is the same as in ACR, why don't you just stick with LR, given you like it more than ACR? PhotoMechanic works well in combination with LR and ACR.

Cheers,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: ACR needs a BIG upgrade?
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 06:09:04 PM »
Is it just me or does anyone else fine ACR a pain to use? I have used Lr for many years and know the two are basically the same 'editor' but I find Lr vastly better to work in and ACR has an old and antiquated interface?

Why are all the tools on the top left of the screen and not on the top right? The Crop tool isn't as slick to use as Lr's and there no real zoom tool like 'Z' in Lr (I don't think?). And that grey background is yuck!! (Haven't found a Wsy to change it yet?)

I think it also lacks Lr's Export section which would speed things up. And then there's the small boxes for the Sharpening, Curves and HSL for example. Why not make them a bit bigger? And the 'pins' for adjusting the sliders are too small IMHO.

Please complain to Adobe.  We have no influence with them whatsoever.  If you want Adobe to make changes to their software, contact them directly.

-Kirk