Author Topic: Closed: JPG with bad metadata generated from D500 raw files  (Read 4773 times)

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
I just noticed that PM generates JPGs with (minor) metadata errors from D500 raw files: Warning: Bad format (1024) for ExifIFD entry 4.
I have never seen this error before so I guess it is specific to the JPGS generated from the D500.

(Note this, of course, only happens when you have Preserve Exif checked when saving as JPG)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 08:07:32 AM by Hayo Baan »
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: JPG with bad metadata generated from D500 raw files
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 06:20:36 PM »
Hayo,

I just noticed that PM generates JPGs with (minor) metadata errors from D500 raw files: Warning: Bad format (1024) for ExifIFD entry 4.
I have never seen this error before so I guess it is specific to the JPGS generated from the D500.

(Note this, of course, only happens when you have Preserve Exif checked when saving as JPG)

If you could provide a sample image direct from the camera, it would be most helpful.

Kind regards,

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 12:04:56 AM »
I have uploaded (to your ftp server) a sample NEF straight from the camera file as well as the JPG that I created using PM (JPG, Quality 90%, Preserve EXIF, No Scaling, Convert to sRGB, no other options selected). In addition, I have uploaded the same image, but now with my base IPTC applied (the IPTC I normally apply when I ingest), again both the nef and the PM saved JPG.

Note, I shot the image without lens so this time the bad format is in entry 3. With a lens attached the bad entry is number 4 (see uploaded D500_Camera_Lens sample pair).

Hope you can find the cause and fix this easily. If you need more samples, just let me know.

Cheers,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 12:58:37 PM »
Hayo,

Looks like for some reason I was forcing the endian to "big" (Motorola) instead of preserving it when writing the ISO tag (0x8833) so all the bytes were swapped.  Most of the previous generation of Nikon models used big endian for NEF (except when Capture NX 2 wrote out a new NEF then it changed to little endian), but D500 and D5 now write little endian in camera.  So this is why it is now an issue for you (at least for your Nikon NEF photos).

I'll get this fix checked in this afternoon.

Thanks for the heads-up as usual!

--dennis

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 02:45:32 PM »
Excellent, good to hear you already found the cause! And, you're more than welcome :)
Hayo Baan - Photography