Author Topic: Registering multiple applications for Launching  (Read 7642 times)

Offline maikm

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Registering multiple applications for Launching
« on: June 13, 2016, 08:20:20 AM »
Hi,

along with the "edit photo" context menu, there is an "edit photo with..." context menu where I can choose the application I want it to be opened in. However, I can't find a place where I can register any more than the one default application, in the Launching preferences section. How am I supposed to register more applications there?

Thanks
Maik

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Registering multiple applications for Launching
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 08:31:30 AM »
Click the Set... button and you'll be able to specify a list of applications to use as “editor”.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline maikm

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 08:39:28 AM »
Ah, I see. This worked, however, that UI really is suboptimal. Apparently I only can add more applications, and not see or edit the list of apps I that are already registered?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 09:59:22 AM »
Ah, I see. This worked, however, that UI really is suboptimal. Apparently I only can add more applications, and not see or edit the list of apps I that are already registered?

That same UI will let you view the list and choose new editors.

-Kirk

Offline maikm

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 11:58:16 AM »
That same UI will let you view the list and choose new editors.

I don't see how. Here, I have registered one default and three additional applications for NEF files. In the Set-dialog, I can only see the last one I added. I can't see that I also added Affinity Photo earlier, and I can't remove any.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 12:29:36 PM »
Scroll down further?  Did you add them as one of your "Custom Editor" slots?

-Kirk

Offline maikm

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 12:42:35 PM »
Did you add them as one of your "Custom Editor" slots?

I didn't. Had not occurred to me, or at least I didn't understand the semantics of that list. I just repeatedly chose more editors for a given file type, and they showed up one after another in the context menu of files of those types.

I now set a few custom editors and set most file types back to default, and that seems to have the desired effect. Still, I don't see how I can taylor the editor choices for all the file types. It would be useful to not have all the generic pixel editors there for certain RAW types that they can't open anyway. And I still find this part of the UI not easy to understand. I have no problems with the rest of the application. :)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 01:27:13 PM »
Did you add them as one of your "Custom Editor" slots?

I didn't. Had not occurred to me, or at least I didn't understand the semantics of that list. I just repeatedly chose more editors for a given file type, and they showed up one after another in the context menu of files of those types.

I now set a few custom editors and set most file types back to default, and that seems to have the desired effect. Still, I don't see how I can taylor the editor choices for all the file types. It would be useful to not have all the generic pixel editors there for certain RAW types that they can't open anyway. And I still find this part of the UI not easy to understand. I have no problems with the rest of the application. :)

If you want to remove an editor, you should be able to click on the item and then click on the "Use default" button and the chosen editor will be removed and replaced with "Using default editor".

-Kirk

Offline maikm

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 01:49:12 PM »
If you want to remove an editor, you should be able to click on the item and then click on the "Use default" button and the chosen editor will be removed and replaced with "Using default editor".

Not working. For example, I have removed Nikon Capture NX-D and NX-2 from the custom editors and set them only for NEF and NRW files, and set PSD back to default, but both Nikon RAW editors still appear in the "open with" menu for PSD files.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 02:42:38 PM »

Not working. For example, I have removed Nikon Capture NX-D and NX-2 from the custom editors and set them only for NEF and NRW files, and set PSD back to default, but both Nikon RAW editors still appear in the "open with" menu for PSD files.

That submenu lists all of the editors you've assigned to all file types, including the "Custom Editors".  If you don't want to pick from the list of available editors, choose the "Edit Photo" item instead and the editor assigned to the file you're clicking on will be used automatically.

-Kirk

Offline maikm

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 01:51:42 AM »
Thanks for your support!