Author Topic: variables not displaying properly on contact sheet  (Read 3972 times)

Online Bob M

• View Profile
    • The McElroys of Point Alexander
variables not displaying properly on contact sheet
« on: June 23, 2016, 02:20:05 PM »
PM v5.0, build 17338 on Windows 7 Home premium, service pack 1, 64 bits.

I have a concern with a change of behaviour between PM v4.6 and v5.0

My workflow is to ingest my Canon CR2 files, applying an IPTC stationary pad.  Among other things, this sets the creator/photographer.  Later, I will develop a set of jpegs, using DPP. 

My contact sheet preferences are set to combine RAW+JPEG into a single thumbnail.  I use the variable {photog} in one of my contact sheet labels because some of my actions depend upon the photographer.

The {photog} variable does not show as a label on the contact sheet in v5.0 after developing the jpegs but it does in v4.6.  However, once i make a change to the IPTC data, no matter how trivial, the {photog} variable then shows.  It seems that in v5.0, the contact sheet looks to the data in the jpeg to set its labels whereas in v4.6 it must look to the xmp files to set its labels.  For me, this latter behaviour is much more convenient, although I accept that the v5.0 behaviour at least gives an indication that the data is not in sync between the jpegs and the xmp files.  But that has never been an issue for me; it will be in sync before I'm done.

The work around for me is to apply a universal trivial IPTC change to all images or to use tools/update iptc/xmp ... or to use find to select a particular photog.  None of these are as convenient as simply looking at the labels on the contact sheet.  Would you be willing to change back to the v4.6 behaviour, or at least make it an option?

My focus has been on the {photog} field but clearly it will apply to any IPTC data field set before the jpegs are produced.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: variables not displaying properly on contact sheet
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 11:42:16 PM »
Bob,

Since you want PM to use the metadata from your RAW files rather than your JPEGs, you can tell PM to do so:

When viewing photos in RAW+JPEG mode use the metadata from the: This popup menu allows you to choose where the metadata comes from when RAW and JPEG images are paired.

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#IPTC.2FXMP_Preferences

HTH,

-Kirk

Online Bob M

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 06:47:13 AM »
I don't want to make an issue about this because I now understand the behaviour and I can work around it.  However, I believe what I am seeing is a bug in v5.0.

I have recently switched from v4.6 to v5.0 because of the issues with displaying the geotagged images on Google maps.  To make the transition I exported my preferences from v4.6 and imported them into v5.0.  So I assume that all my preferences are the same between the two versions -- and this is certainly true for those I have explicitly checked.  And in particular the "When viewing photos in RAW+JPEG mode use the metadata from the:" setting is set to raw for both v4.6 and v5.0.  However, the display of the labels on the contact sheet differs between v4.6 and v5.0  In v5.0, metadata variables that are present in the raw file but are not present in the jpeg file will not display on the contact sheet as labels.  However, for other actions such as "find" or "export" this same data from the raw files is found and used.

Thus the bug is: In v5.0 the labels on the contact sheet reflect the metadata present in the jpeg regardless of the setting chosen for  "When viewing photos in RAW+JPEG mode use the metadata from the:"

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 08:38:04 AM »
Bob,

I don't want to make an issue about this because I now understand the behaviour and I can work around it.  However, I believe what I am seeing is a bug in v5.0.

I have recently switched from v4.6 to v5.0 because of the issues with displaying the geotagged images on Google maps.  To make the transition I exported my preferences from v4.6 and imported them into v5.0.  So I assume that all my preferences are the same between the two versions -- and this is certainly true for those I have explicitly checked.  And in particular the "When viewing photos in RAW+JPEG mode use the metadata from the:" setting is set to raw for both v4.6 and v5.0.  However, the display of the labels on the contact sheet differs between v4.6 and v5.0  In v5.0, metadata variables that are present in the raw file but are not present in the jpeg file will not display on the contact sheet as labels.  However, for other actions such as "find" or "export" this same data from the raw files is found and used.

Thus the bug is: In v5.0 the labels on the contact sheet reflect the metadata present in the jpeg regardless of the setting chosen for  "When viewing photos in RAW+JPEG mode use the metadata from the:"

OK.

I need to see your IPTC/XMP settings (JPEG screenshot, please), and a set of: JPEG, RAW, XMP sidecar that exhibit the problem, and the variables you're using in your Contact Sheet labels.  You can put them all in a zip file and upload them somewhere and provide a link to me to download it, or I can give you our FTP server info and you can upload there.

Without this data I cannot speculate if there is a bug or something peculiar to your settings that is causing the problem.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Online Bob M

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 11:31:00 AM »
The zip file is here: http://www.mcelroy.ca/temp/pm.zip

In addition to my preferences, I have included two contact sheet views.  One is immediately after ingesting a single cr2 file (and applying an IPTC stationary pad during ingest, which among other things, sets the photog data field).  The second one is immediately after creating a jpeg with dpp.  Note that the photog data disappears in label 3 in the second one.  No settings were touched between thos two views.

thanks
Bob

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 03:18:30 PM »
Bob,

Thank you for the sample files.  I was able to reproduce the problem.  You sir, have found a bug in PM5.

I have fixed it.  The next update will resolve this problem.

-Kirk

Online Bob M

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 04:06:15 AM »
Thank you