Author Topic: Treat .dop and other raw+sidecar pairs the same as .xmp?  (Read 6684 times)

Offline bazography

• View Profile
Treat .dop and other raw+sidecar pairs the same as .xmp?
« on: June 29, 2016, 03:14:45 PM »
PM handles .xmp files well by not populating contact sheets with them, and by moving them automatically when you move the matching image file.

So I got to thinkin'... why is this behaviour limited only to .xmp files? I use DxO Optics Pro which creates .dop sidecars. Is there any chance PM could handle these sidecars in the same way? Not sure how many different file extensions there are for sidecar files (plenty I'm sure) so perhaps in PM preferences the user could select which file extensions to treat as raw+sidecar?

I realize it would be an problem for some sidecars like Nikon NX-D that are put into separate folders, but for the majority of raw editors that place sidecars next to the image, is this a possibility?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Treat .dop and other raw+sidecar pairs the same as .xmp?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 05:34:37 PM »
Can you post a sample .dop file here?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline bazography

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 06:30:11 PM »
Can you post a sample .dop file here?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Sure thing... file attached.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 08:28:08 PM »

Sure thing... file attached.

I looked at the contents of the file.  It amazes me that these folks haven't simply adopted XMP.  All of their data could easily be represented in XMP.

We can certainly make PM be aware of them.  Do they always end with the dual filename extensions?  Or are there cases where the only extension is .dop?  (Yours was .nef.dop)

-Kirk

Offline bazography

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 10:34:57 AM »

I looked at the contents of the file.  It amazes me that these folks haven't simply adopted XMP.  All of their data could easily be represented in XMP.

We can certainly make PM be aware of them.  Do they always end with the dual filename extensions?  Or are there cases where the only extension is .dop?  (Yours was .nef.dop)

-Kirk

From what I've seen the extension is always .nef.dop.
Thanks Kirk.

Offline Ben Curtis

• View Profile
    • Snappertalk blog
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 02:56:36 AM »
Yes this would be nice to have these files invisible. Thanks.

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 12:54:37 PM »
From what I've seen the extension is always .nef.dop.

Is this .DOP extension only for RAW files?  Some editors will add their extension to JPEG and TIFF files, e.g. foo.jpg.bib.

--dennis

Offline Ben Curtis

• View Profile
    • Snappertalk blog
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 08:12:39 AM »
It adds it to all files it processes, so filename.cr2.dop, filename.jpg.dop, filename.tif.dop, etc