Author Topic: Drag and drop problem  (Read 6437 times)

Offline The_Toff

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Drag and drop problem
« on: February 20, 2007, 06:44:20 AM »
Whether I ingest or open files normally I have a problem dragging and dropping images from the opened contact sheet.  If I try to drag and drop an image into a folder shown in the navigator window, it will not do it the first time I try it, if I drag and drop for the second time then it works fine, I thought it might be because I am not double clicking but that only opens up the image. What must I do to make drag and drop work the first time . This at the moment is costing me too much time

Rs

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Drag and drop problem
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 06:56:16 AM »
Rs,

Whether I ingest or open files normally I have a problem dragging and dropping images from the opened contact sheet.  If I try to drag and drop an image into a folder shown in the navigator window, it will not do it the first time I try it, if I drag and drop for the second time then it works fine, I thought it might be because I am not double clicking but that only opens up the image. What must I do to make drag and drop work the first time . This at the moment is costing me too much time

So in order to reproduce your problem, one needs to open a contact sheet, select some images, drag the selected images to a folder in the Navigator and drop them?  Then what you're saying is that no copy/move occurs the first time, but if you repeat the drag operation a second time it works properly?

I'll try to reproduce your issue and let you know what I find.  In the meantime, try right-click-dragging the photos to the destination folder.  You should get a contextual menu allowing you to choose how you want to treat the files.  (The options are Copy, Move, Copy Options, and Cancel.)

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline jimb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 09:37:00 AM »
I've also seen this behavior, but have been unable to identify the circumstances that lead up to it. I thought it "was just me", but now I'll start paying more attention since someone else has seen the same thing. I'll let you know what I find.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 12:02:01 PM »
Rs,

We were unable to reproduce your problem as described, but I think I know what is happening.  You must click and release to select the photo, then click and drag the selected items.  If you just click and drag, you are still making a selection (even if you drag out of the window) and are not yet dragging.  The reason it works when you try again is because you have released the mouse button and are now clicking and dragging a selected item.

I hope that makes sense.  Just click, release, click and drag and you'll be fine.

-Kirk

Offline The_Toff

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 03:23:05 PM »
Kirk I have tried what you have said, but its too hit and miss, too many times I am opening the image like its been double clicked. rather than making it ready to move. Is it not possible in 4.5 to make it so that if you click on an image or images then hold down the button and drag you achieve what I have been trying to do. This click and click again takes too much time when you are under preasure to get your images into viewing stations while people are breathing over your shoulder

Rob

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 03:48:05 PM »
Rob,

Kirk I have tried what you have said, but its too hit and miss, too many times I am opening the image like its been double clicked. rather than making it ready to move. Is it not possible in 4.5 to make it so that if you click on an image or images then hold down the button and drag you achieve what I have been trying to do. This click and click again takes too much time when you are under preasure to get your images into viewing stations while people are breathing over your shoulder

I can't make that change.  When you click and drag, you are making a selection such that when you move your mouse over other photos they also get selected.  If I did what you're asking then that functionality would no longer work.  One would need a special multi-selection mode to allow the old behavior.  This would upset a lot of users.

What if you go into your mouse preferences and set the double-click time shorter?  That way click-release-click-drag wouldn't be interpreted as a double-click very often.

Another idea would be to use the cursor keys to move around (which moves the selection on each cursor key press) and then your single-click-drag would work fine.

HTH,

-Kirk