Author Topic: Restoring and reassociating .XMP files with .MOV files  (Read 3515 times)

Offline David Roth

• View Profile
Restoring and reassociating .XMP files with .MOV files
« on: July 13, 2016, 03:52:21 PM »
I recently had to reimage my system due to OS problems. The OS was also upgraded to Windows 10. I reloaded PM 5.0 (build 17338) and restored the pictures and movies from a backup copy. The restored XMP files are now being displayed as a separate "picture" in the contact sheet and I can no longer edit them or even recreate them; even if I delete the XMP file. The error I receive is "None of the selected photos are in a format. [sic] that can be captioned by this version of Photo Mechanic." Is there a way to re-associate the XMP files with their corresponding movie files and have them recognized by PM?

Dave Roth

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Restoring and reassociating .XMP files with .MOV files
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 04:44:45 PM »
Dave,

I recently had to reimage my system due to OS problems. The OS was also upgraded to Windows 10. I reloaded PM 5.0 (build 17338) and restored the pictures and movies from a backup copy. The restored XMP files are now being displayed as a separate "picture" in the contact sheet and I can no longer edit them or even recreate them; even if I delete the XMP file. The error I receive is "None of the selected photos are in a format. [sic] that can be captioned by this version of Photo Mechanic." Is there a way to re-associate the XMP files with their corresponding movie files and have them recognized by PM?

Did you install QuickTime on your Windows 10 system?

Can you post a screenshot of what your contact sheet looks like (showing the movies and orphaned XMP files)?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline David Roth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 11:59:49 AM »
I did forget to reinstall the QuickTime software, since the new browser supports all movie files. Everything is working now. When downloading, I read that Apple is no longer supporting QuickTime for Windows and is not recommending it for Windows 10. Is Camera Bits planning on implementing using some alternative?

Thank you for the help.

Dave Roth

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 12:53:00 PM »
Dave,

I did forget to reinstall the QuickTime software, since the new browser supports all movie files. Everything is working now. When downloading, I read that Apple is no longer supporting QuickTime for Windows and is not recommending it for Windows 10. Is Camera Bits planning on implementing using some alternative?

Yes, but it will take some time to implement.

-Kirk