Author Topic: Smugmug & Photo Mechanic  (Read 11468 times)

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Smugmug & Photo Mechanic
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2016, 03:35:26 AM »
I am toying with the idea of editing in maybe Picassa which would save them to a folder i choose then drag them back into PM to upload, but i don't think there would be any advantage uploading from PM to be honest.

I don't think that picasa is a good option; as far as I know it is no longer developed.

I agree that in your circumstances, uploading from PM does not seem to have added value. I would therefore suggest sticking to LR.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline stoner27

• View Profile
    • Colin Port Images Motorsport Photography
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2016, 03:59:59 AM »
You're right about Picassa i think i will give that a miss !

My workflow is great up to uploading to smugmug which takes too soooo long. The problem is i have to upload hi-res files because what customers see is what they get when they buy, prints or downloads. It would be a lot faster if i could just upload web sized images that look ok on the website but the problem with that is if they buy a download it has to be in that size (eg 4mb) I just thought PM may be faster than LR to upload. 3000 images at around 4mb each uploading, that is the problem !

Col

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2016, 04:46:06 AM »
Ah, I understand. I don't think PM would have helped in this case anyway; 4MB per file is 4MB per file unless you downsize. Sounds like you need a faster internet connection (if that is at all available to you). Do you know what your internet upload speed is? What does e.g., speedtest.net tell you?
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline stoner27

• View Profile
    • Colin Port Images Motorsport Photography
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2016, 04:51:16 AM »
I am on 100mbs download broadband speed which i have just upgraded to 150mbs, the 100 usually gives an upload speed of about 5 or 6mbs, i upload from LR to Smugmug & do a few galleries at a time, this seems to slow the connection down even more, Smugmug had a look at my last upload & say there was nothing untoward happening so i'm stuck really !

Col

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2016, 08:44:34 AM »
Col,

I am toying with the idea of editing in maybe Picassa which would save them to a folder i choose then drag them back into PM to upload, but i don't think there would be any advantage uploading from PM to be honest.

All uploaders should be similar in performance.  The limiting factor (in general) is the speed of your internet connection.

-Kirk