Author Topic: copying keywords from one set of images to another  (Read 5158 times)

Offline annee

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
copying keywords from one set of images to another
« on: July 27, 2016, 08:07:40 AM »
I am working with Photo Mechanic 5, build 17338, with Mac OS X El Captain, version 10.11.16

When I export the text file from the selected set of images according to your instructions, {filenamebase}{tab}{keywords}{nl}, the resulting txt file contains all the keyword information. When I add the code to the keyword field in the IPTC stationary pad and apply it the images, only the file name appears but no keywords I had thought it would be the other way around - keywords and no file name. I am new to photomechanic, and it's probably operator error. I am using photomechanic to keyword and organize a large, photo library with several photographers contributing images, the ability to copy the keywords, or entire stationary pad if possible, from one set to another would be a huge time saver. 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: copying keywords from one set of images to another
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 08:18:25 AM »
I am working with Photo Mechanic 5, build 17338, with Mac OS X El Captain, version 10.11.16

When I export the text file from the selected set of images according to your instructions, {filenamebase}{tab}{keywords}{nl}, the resulting txt file contains all the keyword information. When I add the code to the keyword field in the IPTC stationary pad and apply it the images, only the file name appears but no keywords I had thought it would be the other way around - keywords and no file name. I am new to photomechanic, and it's probably operator error. I am using photomechanic to keyword and organize a large, photo library with several photographers contributing images, the ability to copy the keywords, or entire stationary pad if possible, from one set to another would be a huge time saver.

Can you post a screenshot of your IPTC Stationery Pad showing the contents of the Keywords field, please?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline annee

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 09:44:12 AM »
Thanks for the quick response Kirk,
Here are the attachments you asked for. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that its and easy fix!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 09:56:16 AM »
Thanks for the quick response Kirk,
Here are the attachments you asked for. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that its and easy fix!

Neither of those two screenshots appears to be of the IPTC Stationery Pad.  I need to see what your Keywords field of the IPTC Stationery Pad contains.  Could you please post a JPEG screen shot of your IPTC Stationery Pad showing the Keywords field?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline annee

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 09:50:19 AM »
Ah sorry about that - here is  the stationary pad

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 10:35:51 AM »
Ah I see, you want the keywords from the code replacements based on the filename. What you do now is just add the filename itself to the keywords. To use the code replacement, change {filenamebase} to \{filenamebase}\ (assuming your code replacement delimiter is \).

Hope this helps :)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline annee

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 01:43:18 PM »
Thanks for the feedback but even with the delimiter I'm still getting the file name only, no keywords. I've attached screen captures showing the results. I've also tried with a space between the delimiter and the bracketed code and a few other variations with no luck. Any other suggestions?   :-\

I am using the / as my delimiter.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 02:04:25 PM by annee »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 03:04:32 PM »
Thanks for the feedback but even with the delimiter I'm still getting the file name only, no keywords. I've attached screen captures showing the results. I've also tried with a space between the delimiter and the bracketed code and a few other variations with no luck. Any other suggestions?   :-\

I am using the / as my delimiter.

Please post your Code Replacement text file here.  There may be a problem with it.  If there is, I will correct it and post it back.

-Kirk

Offline annee

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 03:15:09 PM »
thank you

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 03:56:17 PM »
I removed the blank line at the start of the text file (don't know if that's relevant though) and renamed one of my images to "2015_09_23-Autumnal Equinox Sunrise Campus Scenes-tschoon-001.DNG" and applied the IPTC Stationery Pad with the Keywords field set to:

Code: [Select]
\{filenamebase}\

And then I applied the IPTC Stationery Pad to the file.  The Keywords field now reads:

Code: [Select]
Campus, Time, Sunrise, Morning, Sky, Cloudy, Overcast, Gray, Grey, trees, The University of Iowa, buildings, College of Public Health Building, CPHB, AM, A.M., image detail, image orientation, horizontal, unrated, Seasons, Autumn, Autumnal Equinox, Fall, 2015_09_23-Autumnal Equinox Sunrise Campus Scenes-tschoon

I have attached the updated file.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 11:17:25 PM »
The problem is that he used forward slashes / instead of backslashes \.

But removing the empty lines never hurts, of course  :)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 07:08:59 AM »
Hayo,

The problem is that he used forward slashes / instead of backslashes \.

But removing the empty lines never hurts, of course  :)

Yes, but "annee" said that they used '/' as their delimiter.  I guess we'd need to see the Code Replacement dialog to see what the delimiter setting is.  Annee, can you post a screen shot of your Code Replacement dialog showing your preferred delimiter?  You need to use the same delimiter in both places.

-Kirk