Author Topic: IPTC Template issues  (Read 5045 times)

Offline Bob Hendricks

• View Profile
IPTC Template issues
« on: February 19, 2020, 08:43:54 AM »
In working with the Artwork/Object table in the IPTC template, in PM 6 I can enter the artwork title and the artwork creator.  When I scroll to the third field (creation date), the program hangs. Although the PM pulldown to "Quit PM" works, nothing happens when I quit.  the only way out is to Force Quit.

See also my entry on this topic  for PM 6 Plus.
Bob Hendricks

Offline Bob Hendricks

• View Profile
Re: IPTC Template issues
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 01:37:24 PM »
I have now duplicated this behavior.  The issue may be that I am trying to enter data that is not in a "properly formatted" date. If this is the case, I do not know what format would be expected.
Bob Hendricks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 02:55:11 PM »
Bob,

I have now duplicated this behavior.  The issue may be that I am trying to enter data that is not in a "properly formatted" date. If this is the case, I do not know what format would be expected.

Can you please provide an example of what you're entering?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Bob Hendricks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 06:10:41 PM »
I was entering the following data in the Artwork/Object table:

(50) Artwork title
(51) Artwork Creators
(52) Artwork Creators ID
(53) Artwork Date Created
(54) Artwork Circa Date Created
(55) Artwork Style Periods

The logic is as follows. I have built a complete dummy table of IPTC fields which are numbered from (1) to (70), each with the name of the IPTC variable.  The idea is to save this template with a dummy image and then to read the xmp sidecar with exiftool to identify the variable names as they are stored in the sidecar.  My goal is to determine the xmp variable name so that I can create the sidecar and populate some of the fields using exiftool.  I am in the process of a major reorganization of my images--some 33K of them.  This one-time task is a bit beyond what I think I can do with PM 6, but I need to be sure that if I use exiftool to create the sidecar, that PM 6 can read it.

So far this is going very well. However, I have run into a couple of issues as you have seen in the Forum.

Bob 

Bob Hendricks

Offline Bob Hendricks

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 11:46:05 AM »
Here is a summary of what I have been doing and how both PM 6 and PM 6 Plus respond.

First, the setup:

1. I have a raw (nef) image file named DSC_3920.nef in a testing folder.  There are about 5 raw images and 5 associated jpgs in the folder.

2. I am testing/checking the tag names for each entry in the standard IPTC Template by writing data to each field using exiftool. A typical command entered from the Terminal is

exiftool -xmp:creatorcity="Boston" dsc_3920.xmp

If the sidecar file does not exist, it is created.  Otherwise the existing sidecar is modified.

3. the contents of the sidecar can be verified with the command

exiftool dsc_3920.xmp.

4. I then launch PM 6 or PM 6 Plus (with only one or the other loaded at any given time).

5. I click on the "Inf"o button in the lower left corner of the thumbnail image dsc_3920.nef. The IPTC template loads.

6. I click click on "Clear" at the bottom left of the template and then click on "Load" (button beside  Clear" A screen comes up asking for the path to the desired sidecar.  I chose the path to the image and find the sidecar (in this case dsc_3920.xmp) and open it.

7. In all cases tested to date (all variables above the Art Object table) the input I set in exiftool appears correctly in the expected field in the template.

8. I have performed the reverse tests in which I enter data in the template, save the resulting sidecar, and read that output sidecar in exiftool with the command

exiftool dsc_3920.xmp

This shows me the variable to which that entry is written.  It also gives me the correct spelling of the xmp variable name. So far, in all cases there is compete symmetry and data written from either PM or from exiftool are correct and that they are persistent until I send the sidecar file to the trash.

9. These tests indicates that (i) I know the correct xmp name for each variable, (ii) that PM6 and PM 6 Plus both can read sidecars created by exiftool an and (iii) exiftool can be used to operate on the sidecar without affecting data stored in the sidecar.

Now comes the problem:

1. If i enter data into the second field of the Artwork table with

exiftool -xmp:artwork:creator="Leonardo da Vinci" dsc_3920.xmp

the data appears in the correct column of the table. Note the table is left-justified (i.e., the empty Title column is shown; some of the creator column is hidden.

2. Scroll the table to the left and (a) PM 6 freezes. You can click on "quit PM," but nothing happens.  The only way out is to Force Quit PM 6. and (b) PM 6 Plus crashes, reloads the screen sending data to Apple and then asking if I want to send a message to CameraBits. I do--yoou should have a couple.

3. If I do not scroll and try to enter the Artwork Creator ID, the table scrolls automatically to try to show the entry, but the programs freezes/crashes.

4. If I restart the program and reload the sidecar without doing any modification to it at all, all the entered date are shown, but if you try to scroll, the programs hang/crash.

5. If I now do this in reverse (with a clean sidecar) and try to enter data in the artwork fields, all data I enter is done correctly so long as I do not scroll the table at all. However, if there is a long entry, whenever I have to scroll in order to enter more information, the programs hang/crash as with exiftool.

I have tried several combinations of using a brand new sidecar having no data except artwork info and loading the data via both the template and with exiftool and get the same results.

This was not an issue with PM 5 so far as I can remember.

HTH

Bob

Bob Hendricks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 09:55:59 AM »
Bob,

Can you please give me the XMP sidecar file you're testing with? Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your file.

The reason I ask is that I'm unable to follow your instructions completely.  When I try to write to artwork:creator with your example command:

exiftool -xmp:artwork:creator="Leonardo da Vinci" /path/to/file.XMP
Warning: Sorry, xmp:artwork:Creator doesn't exist or isn't writable
Nothing to do.

I even tried creating an empty file in case it had trouble creating one.  I'm using exiftool version 11.88 which is the latest version available at this time.

So I'll need a sample file so that I can follow along with your steps in the "Now comes the problem:" section.

Thanks,

-Kirk
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 11:53:49 AM by Kirk Baker »

Offline Bob Hendricks

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2020, 01:44:26 PM »
Kirk:

The xmp sidecars were attached to the last message using the Attachments and Other options.

The first two posts each had a sidecar named DSC-3920.xmp attached as well as two PNG screen shots; the third post had screen shots and no sidecar.

Did the tdwo sidecar attachments not transmit correctly? Did you get the screenshots?

Bob
Bob Hendricks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2020, 01:50:57 PM »
The xmp sidecars were attached to the last message using the Attachments and Other options.

The first two posts each had a sidecar named DSC-3920.xmp attached as well as two PNG screen shots; the third post had screen shots and no sidecar.

Did the tdwo sidecar attachments not transmit correctly? Did you get the screenshots?

None of your posts in this thread have any attachments.  If you have a file sharing service (like DropBox), you can share me a link privately by clicking on my name to the left of this message and sending me a personal message.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Bob Hendricks

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2020, 06:07:29 PM »
Very strange--the attachments are not there now, but they were there when I first posted the response?  Let me see what I can do to duplicate the files.

Bob
Bob Hendricks

Offline Bob Hendricks

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2020, 07:30:16 PM »
Kirk:

Sorry--my confusion.  I got mixed up with the images and sidecars I sent for the topic listed under the topic labeled as "fourth issue".  You are correct--I did not send files with this topic.  I will get this corrected and send the requested information.

Bob
Bob Hendricks