Author Topic: Lightroom and iView compatibility with Photo Mechanic  (Read 9396 times)

Offline bsmialowski

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Lightroom and iView compatibility with Photo Mechanic
« on: February 21, 2007, 04:29:21 PM »
Are there any plans for the upcoming version of Photo Mechanic to be compatible with iView and Lightroom's color tags, flags and star rating system?  Alternatively is it possible to have Photo Mechanic tag photos in a way that would not loose the tagging when the images are converted to DNG?  Currently the PM tag is lost both on conversion from the camera's raw format to DNG as well as when a PM tagged DNG is reedited in Adobe Camera Raw.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Lightroom and iView compatibility with Photo Mechanic
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 05:55:33 PM »
Are there any plans for the upcoming version of Photo Mechanic to be compatible with iView and Lightroom's color tags, flags and star rating system?

Version 4.5 will have a 5-star rating system compatible with any XMP aware application.  Color Classes can be setup such that they will work with Bridge's labels (the key is to use the exact same label names in both applications.)

Quote from: bsmialowski
Alternatively is it possible to have Photo Mechanic tag photos in a way that would not loose the tagging when the images are converted to DNG?  Currently the PM tag is lost both on conversion from the camera's raw format to DNG as well as when a PM tagged DNG is reedited in Adobe Camera Raw.

Make sure that you are using XMP for your metadata in Photo Mechanic.  Setup your IPTC/XMP preferences to look like the following image.

-Kirk

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 07:06:08 AM »

Color Classes can be setup such that they will work with Bridge's labels (the key is to use the exact same label names in both applications.)

Can you elaborate on that please, is that in the current version?
Marc

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 07:32:25 AM »

Color Classes can be setup such that they will work with Bridge's labels (the key is to use the exact same label names in both applications.)

Can you elaborate on that please, is that in the current version?

No, that is in 4.5 only.

-Kirk

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 06:28:18 PM »

No, that is in 4.5 only.

-Kirk

Bring it on....
Marc

Offline bsmialowski

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 12:14:05 PM »
Hi Kirk,

I made the appropriate IPTC settings as per your suggestion.  Unfortunately the Photo Mechanic tag did not stick when my .CR2 files were converted to .DNG via Lightroom of the Adobe DNG converter.

Also I was hoping you have plans to make the Photo Mechanic "tag" compatible with the Lightroom "pick flag".  This would be nice so that I could see my tagged images from Photo Mechanic as flagged images in Lightroom.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 02:56:48 PM »
Hi Kirk,

I made the appropriate IPTC settings as per your suggestion.  Unfortunately the Photo Mechanic tag did not stick when my .CR2 files were converted to .DNG via Lightroom of the Adobe DNG converter.

Also I was hoping you have plans to make the Photo Mechanic "tag" compatible with the Lightroom "pick flag".  This would be nice so that I could see my tagged images from Photo Mechanic as flagged images in Lightroom.

If you can send me a file that has the "pick flag" set in the XMP data, I'll see what I can do.  Contact me privately for server upload information.

-Kirk