Author Topic: PM New user  (Read 5460 times)

Offline tombran.prmc@gmail.com

• Newcomer
  • Production Recording Sound And Picture
    • View Profile
    • Production Recording
PM New user
« on: July 30, 2016, 03:56:08 PM »
Hi, I'm a new user. I've been to FB and the manual but I seem to not understand the following:
I generally keep photos on my cards, so I don't want to ingest the whole card every time I mount it.
Is there a way to choose the photos to ingest? PW seems to want to ingest the whole card.
Also I don't generally upload all the photos to my image Masters file, just the good ones, so you see my concern.
Thanks so much
Thomas Brandau 213-446-1315 cell txt
                         760-565-8749 Palm Desert

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: PM New user
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 11:33:01 AM »
I do not recommend your workflow, but strongly suggest you ingest all your images to your PC first and then work from there. Note: you can ingest the same memory card multiple times without PM ingesting the same images twice (make sure you check incremental ingest in the ingest window).

If you really want to stay with your workflow, ingest is not the way to go for you, use Copy instead. Just open the folder(s) of the memory card in PM as one or more contact sheets, select the images you like and choose File|Copy/Move Photos (or use the keyboard shortcut CTRL+Y). A dialog wil open where you can specify the destination and various other options for the Copy/Move.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Production Recording
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 08:30:05 PM »
Thank you for your help. I guess I could delete the ng images from the card directly using the camera screen.
Generally the rejects are for focus, exposure, blur etc. If I have several frames of one subject I'll import all of them if sharp.
30 years in Film and TV production teaches me to be ruthless with the rejects, and not import them anywhere, as they can only come back to bite you.

That said, as I can make that decision in the camera, I can the injest all on the card, knowing that the duplicates can be bypassed.
It will make the process slower, but I thank you for your response.

While we are talking, another newby question? Where do the PM data files reside? I find it curious that the manual doesn't cover this most basic detail.
                         760-565-8749 Palm Desert

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 01:50:50 AM »
Thank you for your help. I guess I could delete the ng images from the card directly using the camera screen.
Generally the rejects are for focus, exposure, blur etc. If I have several frames of one subject I'll import all of them if sharp.
30 years in Film and TV production teaches me to be ruthless with the rejects, and not import them anywhere, as they can only come back to bite you.

That said, as I can make that decision in the camera, I can the injest all on the card, knowing that the duplicates can be bypassed.
It will make the process slower, but I thank you for your response.
I advice against deleting images on your memory card as that makes it harder to recover images in case of card failure or accidental formatting. The advised way about this is to ingest images then format the card in the camera.

Instead of deleting the image from your card, you can open the folder on the card and then use PM to Copy instead of ingest the images you want like I mentioned too.
However that said, I still would suggest you ingest all, and then delete the ones you don't like from your hard drive. You will find that this is likely faster than looking at the content of your card and then not selecting the ones you don't want ingested; to be able view the image the image needs to be loaded from the memory card anyway, so you might as well have ingest do that for you. Once they are on your hard drive, viewing will be (much) quicker.

While we are talking, another newby question? Where do the PM data files reside? I find it curious that the manual doesn't cover this most basic detail.

PM's preferences etc. are at the usual location for your Operating System, but I guess you mean where PM stores the image metadata. Well, that's easy: it's either stored within the files themselves (both IPTC and XMP are supported) or, in case of raw files, in an .xmp file with the same name as the raw file (but then only when you have told PM to create these .xmp files). Both methods follow industry standards so they will be recognised by all well written software. Have a look at the IPTC/XMP preferences, this is where you specify all this.

Does this answer your questions?
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Production Recording
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 11:47:28 PM »
Thank you for all your advice. Very helpful