Author Topic: Launching RAW files by camera type  (Read 3567 times)

Offline dguralnick

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Launching RAW files by camera type
« on: August 16, 2016, 10:51:39 AM »
For photographers who haven't made the jump to Adobe CC and are still using CS6 there is a rising problem. The newest cameras have RAW files that are not readable by CS6 (the Adobe DNG converter is horrible and very slow so I'm finding that not to be a very good option).  I currently have Nikon cameras as old as the D3 and as new as the D500.  In the "launching" preferences there is currently the option to "Assign specific editing applications for each file type" but it would be awesome to have, in addition, the ability to "Assign specific editing applications for each camera type".  That way you could open the older files with CS6 and the newer ones with something like Nikon Capture which is frustrating to use but at least can open the files.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Launching RAW files by camera type
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 05:50:58 PM »
For photographers who haven't made the jump to Adobe CC and are still using CS6 there is a rising problem. The newest cameras have RAW files that are not readable by CS6 (the Adobe DNG converter is horrible and very slow so I'm finding that not to be a very good option).  I currently have Nikon cameras as old as the D3 and as new as the D500.  In the "launching" preferences there is currently the option to "Assign specific editing applications for each file type" but it would be awesome to have, in addition, the ability to "Assign specific editing applications for each camera type".  That way you could open the older files with CS6 and the newer ones with something like Nikon Capture which is frustrating to use but at least can open the files.

You can use the up to ten "Custom" editors to choose your alternate apps.  Then use the Edit With submenu and choose the appropriate editor.

-Kirk

Offline Tim S

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 02:33:31 AM »
For photographers who haven't made the jump to Adobe CC and are still using CS6 there is a rising problem. The newest cameras have RAW files that are not readable by CS6 (the Adobe DNG converter is horrible and very slow so I'm finding that not to be a very good option). 
I'm still on Photoshop CS5.1 and have found being able to run the Adobe DNG converter from within Photo Mechanic a very useful feature, although agree it does take a while. 

I'm very keen to put off going to Adobe's Creative Cloud for as long as possible and although this is the only way to upgrade to the latest version of Photoshop, that's not the case for Lightroom.  You can still buy the latest Lightroom as a stand alone product. Adobe appear to have gone to a lot of trouble to hide it on their website, but it is there, available as a full version or upgrade. I bought it last week, so no longer need to use the DNG converter.

Offline Ben Curtis

• View Profile
    • Snappertalk blog
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 02:54:52 AM »
Agree it would be nice to have this, i.e.:
For CR2 files when camera is 5DmkIII, then automatically open with XXX
For CR2 files when camera is 1DXmkII, then automatically open with XXX
Appreciate that you can use "Edit with", but would still be nice to have the option to set the automatic opening.