Author Topic: Workflow - Primary & Secondary Copies  (Read 3614 times)

Offline gb_eh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Workflow - Primary & Secondary Copies
« on: August 16, 2016, 11:09:03 AM »
I have a question for users and support staff regarding PM workflow. Not sure if PM will do this automatically some how or if the idea is flawed out the gate:

I ingest to two separate locations Primary & Secondary (backup drive). I review and delete junk images via PM and go through editing steps via LR & PS and move edited images to Web Site etc... Once I've completed that process is there a way to use PM to automatically delete files at the secondary location based on what was deleted during the review / edit process on the primary copies? I've gotten rid of the junk OOF & empty branch images (shoot birds and often they have flown away mid burst) I don't want/need backups of these and want to clean up the files at the secondary location based on the primary files i've kept. 

- Will PM do anything to automate this?
- or do I need to manually delete content on secondary location and copy over clean primary content again?
- any other ideas welcomed.

Thanks Glen...
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 11:10:57 AM by gb_eh »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Workflow - Primary & Secondary Copies
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 11:33:55 AM »
Glen,

I have a question for users and support staff regarding PM workflow. Not sure if PM will do this automatically some how or if the idea is flawed out the gate:

I ingest to two separate locations Primary & Secondary (backup drive). I review and delete junk images via PM and go through editing steps via LR & PS and move edited images to Web Site etc... Once I've completed that process is there a way to use PM to automatically delete files at the secondary location based on what was deleted during the review / edit process on the primary copies? I've gotten rid of the junk OOF & empty branch images (shoot birds and often they have flown away mid burst) I don't want/need backups of these and want to clean up the files at the secondary location based on the primary files i've kept. 

- Will PM do anything to automate this?

No.

- or do I need to manually delete content on secondary location and copy over clean primary content again?

If what you want at the secondary destination is what you ended up with at your primary destination then I suggest using using an 'rsync' tool.  A nice one that works on Mac OS X and Windows is Grsync: http://www.opbyte.it/grsync/

It is faster than simply deleting the secondary destination files and copying the primary destination files since it only copies what's changed.

-Kirk

Offline gb_eh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Workflow - Primary & Secondary Copies
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 03:04:40 AM »
 I was thinking about writing a .Net program to handle this, but will check this out 1st.. thnx Kirk.