Author Topic: Moving to Lightroom  (Read 5958 times)

Offline KBishop

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Moving to Lightroom
« on: August 21, 2016, 03:07:33 PM »
Since the catalog seems to be forever being worked on, I am going to make lightroom part of my workflow as I am overwhelmed by trying to find images.  I am really interested in the library module.  Many years of using PM and Photoshop as a workflow.

Now my question.  What would be the easiest way to move images into Lightroom given that I have most of them with IPTC information, keywords, etc. in the files?  I really don't want to have to re-enter information that is already there.

Thanks,

Kevin
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 03:11:33 PM by KBishop »

Offline KBishop

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Moving to Lightroom
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 03:58:18 PM »
Has anyone used NeoFinder in conjunction with PM?

I am really in need of a catalog.

Kevin

Offline Tim S

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 03:31:22 AM »
I've also had a PM/PS workflow, but started to move over to Lightroom a couple of weeks ago.  I still use PM for culling, IPTC and renaming in the first stage of my workflow, then import to LR.  All my IPTC info seems to import intact.  However I've never used keywords in PM, but have started using them in LR as they're very easy and quick to enter.

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 02:13:15 PM »
As a news tog, I can't stand Lightroom because of its incredibly slow cataloging even though I have a CC copy. If I could turn off the catalogue then I might use it for editing pictures rather than the slower Photoshop CC.

Try Daminion at this link: http://www.daminion.net/

Its an extraordinary database programme that you can use free for up to 15k images or get the Pro standalone version for 99.95 USD. The server version is a bit dearer.

I currently have nearly 500k of images in the database linked to a Drobo and I can't fault it.  I've tried everything over the years and this is by far the best. Hopefully, the PM catalogue will be as good.

At least try the free version and see what you think.

David

Offline KBishop

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 10:25:32 AM »
Thanks guys.

I will at Dominion.  I had not found it in my searches.

I do really wish that Camera Bit would finally get theirs done.  I know it would then integrate well and have a similar look and feel.

Anybody else using something different?

Kevin

Offline KBishop

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 10:31:09 AM »
I went to look at Dominion.  I was getting excited as it looked promising.  I guess I left out a keep piece of info in my question.  I am in an all Mac environment.

Not a really big group but 3 computers and a server.  I can deal with stand-alone and don't have to have a workgroup share but if the price were right it would be preferable.

Kevin

Offline pshrutpark

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Harris Photography
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 01:05:08 AM »
Hello.

Yes I use Neofinder with PM and find it excellent and stable. It creates its own catalog file and doesn't have to be connected to the actual image files to be used. I use the location (geotag) search frequently.

Cheers

Has anyone used NeoFinder in conjunction with PM?

I am really in need of a catalog.

Kevin

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 08:28:31 AM »
Kevin,

I work with Windows but the Daminion Standalone, according to the specifications, does work on a Mac. 

So worth a try and nothing to lose with the free version and initial 15k of images.

David

Offline KBishop

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 08:35:15 AM »
pshrutpark

Thanks for the experience.

David

Thanks for the additional info.  I will dig a little more.

Both seem promising. 

Kevin