Author Topic: Getty,AP and Action Images and more need it but where is it Camera Bit!  (Read 9799 times)

Offline toptog

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
"Select cropped" and "lighten slider"  Get on with it Camera Bits!

Offline mzachs

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • MagicalPhotos.com
Re: Getty,AP and Action Images and more need it but where is it Camera Bit!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 03:39:15 PM »
These is a nicer way to ask.  :) The idea is actually great for work flow.

Ever since the advent of digital I do underexpose a bit to hold the highlights.

While everyone knows that PM is not a photo editing program a darken/lighten slider with 1/3 stops incremental would help everyone's work flow immensely by not having to take it to Photoshop. Or due to deadline constraints send out slightly dark or light pictures.

Food for thought.
Hope this helps,

Mitchell Zachs
http://www.MagicalPhotos.com/
MAC OS 10.12.2, on a MacBook Pro Retina 2.33 Ghz Intel Core i7

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
Re: Getty,AP and Action Images and more need it but where is it Camera Bit!
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 08:27:52 AM »
I have Photoshop CC but for the quickest adjustments before sending to the news agency I use Nik software which is now free.

Offline JonHob

• View Profile
It would great if PM would build in all the basic editing tools, our workflow would be so much slicker.

Until that time, I think there's still a need for need for a editor without all the crap that is squeezed in to the likes of Photoshop etc. Let's be honest, we all probably use 5% of Ps? We need, imho, a chunkier interface, sliders with bigger grab points, easy to set-up import presets, and export presets, single click black and white points and an easy crop tool. I wish I had the knowledge and inclenation to work on such program for press togs needing fast turnaround.....

Offline tmronin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
all that sounds cool, esp if it can be turned off and not bloat up/slow down PM's stupidly fast workflow.   

I use PM because it's the fastest/slimmest image sorting/culling/tagging program out there.  I would be bummed if it went all Microsoft feature bloat-y.

Offline toptog

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
It would great if PM would build in all the basic editing tools, our workflow would be so much slicker.

Until that time, I think there's still a need for need for a editor without all the crap that is squeezed in to the likes of Photoshop etc. Let's be honest, we all probably use 5% of Ps? We need, imho, a chunkier interface, sliders with bigger grab points, easy to set-up import presets, and export presets, single click black and white points and an easy crop tool. I wish I had the knowledge and inclenation to work on such program for press togs needing fast turnaround.....

It would be so easy for these simlpe but essential tools to be added to PM. But for some reason Camera bits are messing around around with useless updates.

The market (and what has made PM popular) is the photo journalist. All it is going to take is someone to copy PM and dump the usless stuff and put in simple crop, straighten and shadow detail slider bar and PM will end up like Betamax.

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
But for some reason Camera bits are messing around around with useless updates.

The market (and what has made PM popular) is the photo journalist. All it is going to take is someone to copy PM and dump the usless stuff and put in simple crop, straighten and shadow detail slider bar and PM will end up like Betamax.

Toptog: I suspect most other folks don't think our commitment to continually update Photo Mechanic is useless.  And in case you haven't heard, the PJ market is going the way of the video tape, VHS or Betamax.

For the others, if you appreciate our commitment to make PM one of the most solid pieces of software out there then please chime in.

BTW - Photo Mechanic IS photo editing software.  Photoshop is pixel editing software.  We focus on photos not pixels.  I just got back from Final Four, and AP edited like 80K photos of which about 1% were selected (which went on to Photoshop for PIXEL editing).  Good luck finding some other software besides PM that can do that so fast and reliably.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 02:28:58 PM by dennis »

Offline mpw1950

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Occasional times I need to tweak exposure on news pictures I use the in-camera RAW conversion. (I never shoot just jpg, usually raw+jpg or raw only for non-time sensitive images)

Offline SamoMalo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Yes we really need it.
Levels or curves and to straight the pic.
Keep it simple.

Offline Eric

• View Profile
While it certainly could have been stated more elegantly.. I have made this request numerous times as well. Sure I can (do) run PS as my 'pixel' editor the joy would be to NOT have to swap out to a separate program to tone a photo. If cataloging is going to be included in PM6  basic 'pixel' editing would be even more useful as a tool for field work.

Offline birdie

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
For the others, if you appreciate our commitment to make PM one of the most solid pieces of software out there then please chime in.

Thank you Dennis and team. I began using PM when I started with a wire service. PM is the best at what it does. Since then, I've used Bridge a just a couple of times to view small folders of images at larger sizes. I'm hardly using PM to it's fullest capability, but for what I need, it's extremely fast and does what I need it to.

Thank you