Author Topic: Raw and Jpg in separate folders during ingest  (Read 8941 times)

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
Raw and Jpg in separate folders during ingest
« on: August 24, 2016, 12:08:57 PM »
I need to have Raw and Jpg versions of my images in separate folders. I can do this with a lot of work in several ways, but I would much prefer to have PM do this work for me during ingest.

I would like to shoot only Raw and have PM extract the embedded Jpgs from the Raws and put them in separate folders during ingest. Alternatively, I could shoot Raw+Jpg and have PM put the Raws and Jpgs in separate folders during ingest.

This request has been made before several times by others but never implemented. Any hope it could happen?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Raw and Jpg in separate folders during ingest
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 03:22:04 PM »
William,

I need to have Raw and Jpg versions of my images in separate folders. I can do this with a lot of work in several ways, but I would much prefer to have PM do this work for me during ingest.

I would like to shoot only Raw and have PM extract the embedded Jpgs from the Raws and put them in separate folders during ingest. Alternatively, I could shoot Raw+Jpg and have PM put the Raws and Jpgs in separate folders during ingest.

Can I ask why you need to do this?  If PM is just going to extract the embedded preview from your RAW file, it can do so for you when uploading, printing, saving, exporting, emailing, etc. without generating any permanent files.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 10:26:52 AM »
What you could do is ingest the files into folders based on the {type} variable. This resolves to e.g. JPEG for jpeg files, for raw files it depends on the type of raw file. If you combine this with code replacements, I think you should be able to do exactly what you want.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 10:32:31 AM »
Hayo,

What you could do is ingest the files into folders based on the {type} variable. This resolves to e.g. JPEG for jpeg files, for raw files it depends on the type of raw file. If you combine this with code replacements, I think you should be able to do exactly what you want.

This could work when shooting RAW+JPEG, but when shooting RAW-only, no JPEGs will be extracted/created.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 02:16:53 PM »
This could work when shooting RAW+JPEG, but when shooting RAW-only, no JPEGs will be extracted/created.

Ah right, he doesn't yet have the jpgs, well, then I too am baffled about the question because then all it takes is either an extract jpg from raw I the tools menu or a save as. Both are single steps already and can be told to generate the jpg in a separate directory so I don't see what, if anything, needs to be done to cater for the request?
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 04:40:48 PM »

Pretty sure I read somewhere that {type} will not work if I shoot Raw+Jpg. Here is one post on that subject but I cannot find the thread I remember: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=7392.msg34956#msg34956.

In fact I think you made the same suggestion in the thread I cannot find and somebody presumably from Camerabits said it will not work.

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 04:47:56 PM »
William,

Can I ask why you need to do this?  If PM is just going to extract the embedded preview from your RAW file, it can do so for you when uploading, printing, saving, exporting, emailing, etc. without generating any permanent files.

-Kirk

I need actual Jpg files to use with my database software which cannot write keywords to Raw files. PM extracts the embedded Jpgs just fine but that is an extra step after ingest and PM will not create new folders using variables and put the Jpgs there like it does during ingest.

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 04:51:47 PM »
Hayo,

-Kirk

I might be mis-remembering but I think you might have said in an older thread that PM treats the Jpg in Raw+Jpg pairs like a sidecar file and won't separate them using the {type} variable. I have not tried to figure out how to use {type} yet so I don't know if it works or not but I am going to try unless you tell me it won't work.

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 06:35:49 PM »
Ok, I just tried it, took some snaps in Raw+Jpg and ran 2 ingests, one with Filter Files set to Raw only and one set to Non Raw only. It works, I can send the Jpgs to one folder and the Raws to a different folder. I set up Snapshots so I can switch the filter and folder settings fast for each file type. This solves my problem except that I am greedy and would prefer it if I could do this operation in one ingest instead of two!  :) So please make this a continuing feature request.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 11:36:08 PM »
I might be mis-remembering but I think you might have said in an older thread that PM treats the Jpg in Raw+Jpg pairs like a sidecar file and won't separate them using the {type} variable. I have not tried to figure out how to use {type} yet so I don't know if it works or not but I am going to try unless you tell me it won't work.

Aargh, you're right, the pair will end up at the same place. Sorry about that, I should have thought about this before suggesting.

Ok, I just tried it, took some snaps in Raw+Jpg and ran 2 ingests, one with Filter Files set to Raw only and one set to Non Raw only. It works, I can send the Jpgs to one folder and the Raws to a different folder. I set up Snapshots so I can switch the filter and folder settings fast for each file type. This solves my problem except that I am greedy and would prefer it if I could do this operation in one ingest instead of two!  :) So please make this a continuing feature request.
Instead of two ingests, why don't you ingest everything and then run a move command on all files, moving the JPGS to a different place and leaving the RAW files in-place? This will likely require some trickery with code replacements and the filename variables, but it can be set up and is probably faster. A more advanced solution could be to create a “program” that does the file moving and add that as program to the list of editors, then you can right click a file and choose the action. I have done this for a number of tasks on my files (I'm on a Mac though and there converting a simple shell script into a program is easily done with Automator).
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 08:32:10 AM »
Thanks Hayo, good suggestions, I will work on your single ingest ideas.