Author Topic: Reverse geocoding facilitating automatic location fill-in in IPTC Stationary pad  (Read 9022 times)

Offline TomasF

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
This feature request is based on my question in the general discussion http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=8082.0
I also realize all focus is on the catalog, and everything else will be pushed to after its release, but I'm hoping this will be considered for the todo list.

I believe it goes straight to the core functionality of PM of speeding up the ingest process by helping to automate the adding of metadata in a meaningful way.

In essence I'd like to see PM be able to read embedded GPS data in the images (such as that embedded by built in or addon GPS units for cameras), look up the address/location of the coordinates with a source such as Google Maps (reverse geocoding), and then through new variables make it possible to add those data to the IPTC location fields in the IPTC Stationary Pad.
I did some testing with some random samples of pics taken with the D300s and D800 with the Solmeta Geotagger Pro 2 and the Canon S100 compact, and the location returned by Lightroom or polling the google api directly returned good enough results in almost all cases that I would be thrilled to accept that as location info. In the other cases, it would still provide a much better starting point than nothing.

Thanks for reading :)

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
Another vote for this new feature (also taking into consideration that Canon now has a full-frame camera with built-in gps - the EOS 6D - at a reasonable price).
TIA.
regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Franz Dur

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
This feature is implemented in the freeware Geosetter (Geosetter.de). It can be configured to access http://api.geonames.org when importing GPS data and will retrieve the country/province/town info. It is not always accurate, so some control is needed, but it really speeds up the whole geotagging ==> IPTC process.

You have to setup your own account (free) on geonames.org and enter your username in the Geosetter Preference.

So it is certainly possible, and much useful.

Francis

Offline platti

• View Profile
    • my gallery on zenfolio
Hi,

there is no doubt about Geosetter, but we want to do this in Photo Mechanic ...
greets from a hill
my gallery on zenfolio

Offline TomasF

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I agree this is possible through the excellent Geosetter, and also through Lightroom 4, which I'm already using in my workflow. However, there's a distinct difference between using these tools post-ingest, and being able to set location etc during ingest. Specifically, having reverse geocoded location automatically assigned to variables in PM makes it possible to use it for filling in preexisting description templates etc while in the field.

Offline jrp

• View Profile
I too would find this helpful.  I think also that Photo Mechanic should try to determine which country you are in, so that we don't have to say "London, UK" when looking up GPS-related stuff.

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (6890) | macOS 14.3
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
Now that the 1D X Mark II is going to have built-in GPS add my vote for a feature like this.
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
Now that the 1D X Mark II is going to have built-in GPS add my vote for a feature like this.

And Canon 5D Mark IV also has built in GPS...
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline JS

• View Profile
Hi,
I would also like this feature, so I don't have to go to Houdah Geo always for reverse geocoding, wich slows down the whole process.

Regards
John