Author Topic: Better/more filtering options + Map Module  (Read 5056 times)

Offline m3adi3c

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Better/more filtering options + Map Module
« on: August 25, 2016, 12:13:22 AM »
Hi everybody,

I'm the happy user of Photo Mechanic v5 for 2 days and I would like to make 2 feature requests which I think would greatly improve the  experience with the app. I've been using and testing all of the major RAW converters and DAMs, but nothing beats PM5 in speed — which is why I've settled with it. Nevertheless, here are 2 features which I'd like to see in it:

1. More filtering options: if one uses PM5 for managing their (say) 10k+ images, because of its awesome speed, I would like to see more criteria for filtering the current set of loaded images, as Phase One's Media Pro has, as a sidebar. For example, filter by: (hierarchical) keywords, camera model, ISO, file type (extension), date taken etc. Maybe some of these can be used as search criteria presently (?), but I would love to see them implemented in the GUI, for a better operation.

Maybe this would require catalogging/indexing, which would slow the app down, but nevertheless, I'd love to see them.

2. A Map module, as, e.g. Lr has. I'm currently using third party apps for geotagging my RAW files (record the GPX track with GeoTagr on my iPhone, then process with HoudahGeo on the Mac). As such, I would like to browse through my photos on a map or simply to get an overall look at the places I've taken pictures. This can also be useful, I think, for management purposes or if not, I, for one, would love to have the map + pictures overview — that's why I geotag my pictures. :)

Please let me know if the features are already present or have been requested or answered to. As I said, I'm a fresh user of the app and looking forward to learning it thoroughly.

Thank you for your time and congratulations to the team for such a wonderful app!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Better/more filtering options + Map Module
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 08:48:46 AM »
I'm the happy user of Photo Mechanic v5 for 2 days and I would like to make 2 feature requests which I think would greatly improve the  experience with the app. I've been using and testing all of the major RAW converters and DAMs, but nothing beats PM5 in speed — which is why I've settled with it. Nevertheless, here are 2 features which I'd like to see in it:

1. More filtering options: if one uses PM5 for managing their (say) 10k+ images, because of its awesome speed, I would like to see more criteria for filtering the current set of loaded images, as Phase One's Media Pro has, as a sidebar. For example, filter by: (hierarchical) keywords, camera model, ISO, file type (extension), date taken etc. Maybe some of these can be used as search criteria presently (?), but I would love to see them implemented in the GUI, for a better operation.

Maybe this would require catalogging/indexing, which would slow the app down, but nevertheless, I'd love to see them.

These types of features will be in PM6.

2. A Map module, as, e.g. Lr has. I'm currently using third party apps for geotagging my RAW files (record the GPX track with GeoTagr on my iPhone, then process with HoudahGeo on the Mac). As such, I would like to browse through my photos on a map or simply to get an overall look at the places I've taken pictures. This can also be useful, I think, for management purposes or if not, I, for one, would love to have the map + pictures overview — that's why I geotag my pictures. :)

PM supports tagging photos with GPS coordinates via a Google map.  It also has a feature that will import coordinates from GPS loggers and match them up with your photos.

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#GPS_Functions

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline m3adi3c

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 09:09:44 AM »

Great to hear this.

PM supports tagging photos with GPS coordinates via a Google map.  It also has a feature that will import coordinates from GPS loggers and match them up with your photos.

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#GPS_Functions

I know about this, but it's not exactly what I want. As I understand it, the features you point to allows one to view or set GPS/Map location of a single picture. I would like more of a browser with a map interface. More like Lightroom's Map module or as you see after you geotag pictures in a specific app: a map with pins (and previews, ideally) for *all* of the pictures in the specific folder/catalog/selection/etc.

Offline jwvaughn

• Retired programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 10:07:38 AM »

Great to hear this.

I know about this, but it's not exactly what I want. As I understand it, the features you point to allows one to view or set GPS/Map location of a single picture. I would like more of a browser with a map interface. More like Lightroom's Map module or as you see after you geotag pictures in a specific app: a map with pins (and previews, ideally) for *all* of the pictures in the specific folder/catalog/selection/etc.

You can do either: Select a location to tag a photo; Match photos to a GPX file for location info.  Look under File\Import GPS Coordinates for the latter.  Having both is a plus as there are times I take photos without a GPS around so I tag them manually but most of the time I use my GPS track to do the tagging.  All with PM.

Just a note - I have not tried in awhile but in the past, PM has not worked with GPS tagging on PSD files.

Jerry

Offline m3adi3c

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 11:39:20 PM »
I'm sorry, but both you and Kirk indicated how I can add or view GPS coordinates to *a single picture*. I'm interested in browsing all (or some selected) pictures on a map (see attachment).

Am I still misunderstanding your answers or this is not possible in PM yet?

Offline jwvaughn

• Retired programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 08:42:14 PM »
I'm sorry, but both you and Kirk indicated how I can add or view GPS coordinates to *a single picture*. I'm interested in browsing all (or some selected) pictures on a map (see attachment).

Am I still misunderstanding your answers or this is not possible in PM yet?

If there is a way to do that in PM I don't know how.  You can step through selected images and view the location of that image on a map but that is certainly not the same as seeing multiple images simultaneously.  There have been occasions where I would have liked to that.

I think both Kirk and I misunderstood your original question - my apologies.

Jerry

Jerry