Author Topic: Getting a safety warning when opening card  (Read 8452 times)

Offline olidie

• View Profile
Getting a safety warning when opening card
« on: August 27, 2016, 04:38:35 AM »
Hi,

since the last update I get a noticitifaction window about my setting preventing changes being saved on my card everytime I open a contact sheet directly from the memory card. The preference "Allow modification of files on Camera Disks (not recommended!)" is turned off as usual. Is there anything I can do to keep this warning from opening up everytime I check pictures on the card?

Oliver

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Getting a safety warning when opening card
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 05:09:58 AM »
I think the only thing that you can do at the moment is enable the write to card option (and then just remember not to edit anything while browsing the card).
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 11:04:23 PM »
Oliver,

since the last update I get a noticitifaction window about my setting preventing changes being saved on my card everytime I open a contact sheet directly from the memory card. The preference "Allow modification of files on Camera Disks (not recommended!)" is turned off as usual. Is there anything I can do to keep this warning from opening up everytime I check pictures on the card?

You can enable writing on the card and the message should stop appearing.  We have had a number of users end up thinking that they were making changes on their card and having been surprised to find that their edits were not saved.  Our support folks asked the engineering staff to add this to keep people from losing their edits.

-Kirk

Offline olidie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 11:17:00 PM »
Thank you for the replies, Kirk and Hayo. I figured that I could get rif of the message by enabling the write option. A long time ago I stopped doing edits right on the card and totally understand the recommondation in the menue not to enable to feature. Therefore I am not too happy having to enable it just to rid of the message. Would be a checkbox like "Got it, don't show again" a possibility?

Oliver

Offline DarrenR

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 03:09:23 PM »
Would be a checkbox like "Got it, don't show again" a possibility?

That is a feature I would really appreciate too !

Darren.

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 10:26:57 AM »
I'll just jump in here after talking about this idea with Kirk. I understand what you're getting at. Consider this though: The dialog is there precisely because many people have written to us that they forget their own settings and end up losing hours of work editing images on cards where changes could not be saved. Putting an option to suppress the message would essentially put us back in that same situation. Our recommendation for now is that if you do not wish to enable editing on the card, then use the keyboard to quickly dismiss the message each time. We believe the trade-off of >0.5 second per session to reduce the risk of lost work is beneficial in the long run. Thanks for the constructive discussion!

-Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline olidie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 10:42:03 AM »
Thank you for carrying out the thoughts behind this screen, Mick. To be honest I still can't make friends with it. One one hand it is explicitly not recommended to enable changes being saved on the card and on the other hand I get a warning everytime I open a contact sheet if I follow that recommendation. True it's just a fraction of time to suppress the message but it has to be done quite a few times a day.

How about a red exclamation point ! in the title tab of the contact sheet as a reminder? You see I am trying everything not to enable changes being saved on my cards ;-)

Oliver

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 11:58:41 AM »
To be honest I still can't make friends with it.

Not all friendships happen overnight. :)  Try it for a while. See where the relationship goes.  It is very quick - just press return.

We can add this to the suggestion list, but in this case I would not think it will happen anytime soon. Just being up front with you. Thank you again for the feedback.

-Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 12:44:12 PM »
Also, this problem completely goes away if you ingest pictures to your computer rather than looking at them on the fragile card.
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline olidie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 12:49:50 PM »
Much appreciated, Mick! I used to ingest cards prior to reviewing but due to news agency time pressure I tend to do a pre selection on the card and just move the chosen picture.

Offline Odd Skjaeveland

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 11:49:59 PM »
Also, this problem completely goes away if you ingest pictures to your computer rather than looking at them on the fragile card.

I always preview images on the card and would like the warning dialog to be delayed until the time of me requesting PM to write the first change to the card rather than the current preemptive approach. If I do not call for PM to write to the card, then  no warning dialog.
--
Odd S.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2016, 12:04:09 AM »

I always preview images on the card and would like the warning dialog to be delayed until the time of me requesting PM to write the first change to the card rather than the current preemptive approach. If I do not call for PM to write to the card, then  no warning dialog.

Unfortunately that's a lot harder to achieve.  And it's unlikely we'll make that change.

-Kirk

Offline fotogarcia

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2016, 06:29:04 AM »
I've been using Photo Mechanic for more than a decade and have blogged and promoted the product because I think it's awesome. Kudos to all of you.  So of course, wait for it: this dialog box thing is not just odd, it creates the potential for more problems. I explicitly don't want to enable writing to card because in the speed-based environment in which Photo Mechanic has established its competitive niche, I want to keep the card as safe from possible overwriting due to some kind of clerical error, until I have a chance to download and backup the images.  During violent protests at a political convention, an inexperienced editor essentially deleted all my images due to writing to a card while using PM. Even PM suggests not to overwrite to card. So people who have established a workflow for more than a decade around that safety-based approach now have to put their images at risk on a card just to get rid of a dialog box whose cautions they already follow?  Not to put it too delicately, I don't need a parental advisory each time I use a product I've been using for the past decade. I think a simple "Ok, got it, Don't show this again" box (and maybe a "Are you sure?" follow-up) is not too much to ask. In terms of the ingest suggestion, not only is that a slower approach when speed is essential, but you also may have more than one assignment on a disk (for a couple different reasons) and want to put the assignments in different folders. 

Offline DarrenR

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2016, 09:34:48 PM »
So people who have established a workflow for more than a decade around that safety-based approach now have to put their images at risk on a card just to get rid of a dialog box whose cautions they already follow?

I completely agree.

Offline olidie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2016, 11:56:18 PM »
So people who have established a workflow for more than a decade around that safety-based approach now have to put their images at risk on a card just to get rid of a dialog box whose cautions they already follow?  [...]  In terms of the ingest suggestion, not only is that a slower approach when speed is essential, but you also may have more than one assignment on a disk (for a couple different reasons) and want to put the assignments in different folders.

Well said. This safety warning still gets on my nerves every time I open a card. A lot of times I insert a CF and a SD card both with multiple folders. Before I get to see my pictures I have to click multiple messages. Since I am stubborn I refuse to enable writing on the card so this warning is something I simply can't get used to. It slows me down and therefore is a small drop of bitterness in the otherwise great PM.