Author Topic: "Snapshots can be managed..."  (Read 6092 times)

Offline JS

• View Profile
"Snapshots can be managed..."
« on: August 27, 2016, 01:05:10 PM »
Hi,

This:
"Snapshots can be managed by modifier-clicking on the named entry in the snapshot list. This brings up the Finder or Windows Explorer opened to the folder where the Snapshots are saved."

doesn't work anymore. I didn't use it for some time. Meanwhile I upgraded to 10.9.5. PM 5 is newest build.

-John

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: "Snapshots can be managed..."
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 11:20:31 PM »
John,

This:
"Snapshots can be managed by modifier-clicking on the named entry in the snapshot list. This brings up the Finder or Windows Explorer opened to the folder where the Snapshots are saved."

doesn't work anymore. I didn't use it for some time. Meanwhile I upgraded to 10.9.5. PM 5 is newest build.

Works for me with the latest build on Mac OS X 10.11.5.  I am pressing the "Option" key which is the modifier key for the Mac version.  On Windows, the modifier key is the Shift key.

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#Modifier_Key

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline JS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 03:38:40 AM »
Kirk,

thanks for quick reply. Strangely, today it workes as intended. Maybe it needed some rest-)

Another thing I found out: I'm using Houdah Geo for reverse geocoding for the first time, which is really helpful. But if it writes data to the files, it slows down PM totally, though I have opened in PM a different folder. How can this be, I use  a 4-core machine 2,66Ghz, 24 GB of Ram?

And a last Question: Would a faster CPU with maybe 3,33Ghz speed up PM in writing captions noticeably?

Have a nice sunday
John

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 04:27:23 AM »
Hi John,

Unless the Houdah reverse Geocoding uses your CPUs and/or Hard Disk to the max, there should be no reason that PM slows down. What does the Activity monitor show you?
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline JS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 07:05:48 AM »
Hi Hayo,

thanks for the answer. Since the geotagging job is over I cannot show a current panel. I remember it was for Ram like 1,5 Gb for PM and 460MB for Houdah Geo. It still says the same, and it says always 23 GB Ram (occupied), though I don't do anything  at the moment except writing this answer. See the screenshot

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 07:16:42 AM »
The used memory looks high to me, I don't see what is causing this directly, perhaps some left over file caches? I reckon it was a big geocode job then? Then it could very well have been a combination of memory (I see there is an, albeit currently small, swap file) and disk activity that caused the slowdown.

If you reboot your machine memory usage should be “clean” again with a much lower “used memory”.
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline JS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 08:24:10 AM »
So, I did reboot. It took quite some time, so I think something must have been wrong all the time. Activity shows also a better picture now. Thanks for Your help.

-John

Offline JS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 08:28:03 AM »
It might have been overlooked:

Would a faster CPU with maybe 3,33Ghz speed up PM in writing captions noticeably?

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 01:58:11 PM »
Writing speed is more influenced by disk speed than by cpu speed, so it probably won't really help to get a faster cpu. Other things, of course, might still benefit from a faster cpu though. That said, our 2x4 core Mac Pro from 2008 is still extremely fast, even when compared to today's hardware. What helped is that we have upgraded the main hd to ssd (and use software that utilises multiple cores really well).
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline JS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 01:56:15 PM »
Thanks for the answer. Then I will do the same, get a Ssd.

-John