Author Topic: Unable to ingest from card  (Read 6418 times)

Offline Nate K.

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Unable to ingest from card
« on: August 27, 2016, 08:51:21 PM »
Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 17719 (c8049ca)
MAC OS X 10.8.5 Intel
SanDisk extreme 120mb

Im unable to import images using ingest. I'm not sure what has changed, I can't seem to figure it out. I create a folder to import images to, choose the file in the ingest dialog box and click the ingest button,  Ingest begins then quickly the task dialog box says completed, when nothing has happened or imported.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Unable to ingest from card
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 11:06:10 PM »
Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 17719 (c8049ca)
MAC OS X 10.8.5 Intel
SanDisk extreme 120mb

Im unable to import images using ingest. I'm not sure what has changed, I can't seem to figure it out. I create a folder to import images to, choose the file in the ingest dialog box and click the ingest button,  Ingest begins then quickly the task dialog box says completed, when nothing has happened or imported.

You're ingesting Folders instead of Disks.  Change the topmost set of radio buttons to "Ingest Disks".

-Kirk

Offline Nate K.

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 06:37:48 AM »
AHHHH! So simple! Issue resolved. thanks so much Kirk!

Nate  K.

Offline domhnall20

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 01:39:00 PM »
I'm trying to ingest from just one folder on a card, all it ingests are the xmp files nit the raw files. Is the only way to ingest everything on the card?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 02:00:28 PM »
If you want to ingest just one folder, select ingest from folder instead of ingest disk and add the folder(s) you want ingested.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 03:03:27 PM »
I'm trying to ingest from just one folder on a card, all it ingests are the xmp files nit the raw files. Is the only way to ingest everything on the card?

Hard to say without seeing your settings, but have you changed the "Filter Files" section to JPEGs only?

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#Filter_Files

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 10:15:56 PM »
If you want to ingest just one folder, select ingest from folder instead of ingest disk and add the folder(s) you want ingested.

Reading Kirk's answer, I think I misunderstood your question. I thought you wanted the ability to not ingest all files, but only a part. But now I think you mean, it only ingested the XMP files and not the raw files. Perhaps as Kirk suggested, you indeed have a filter active, if not, then I'd like to see the content of your card to see what's going on.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline domhnall20

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 04:27:02 AM »
thanks Kirk and Hayo, no I have the filter for raw and jpg (there are no JPG files on the card), all it copies is the XMP files even though the ingest tasks shows it to be copying the NEF nikon raw files. I tend not to mess with the settings too much, I have used PM without issue for years and am not aware I have changed anythign but after a recent update this odd ingest of XMP only seems to have started.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 04:28:58 AM by domhnall20 »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 08:46:25 AM »
I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic log.  In Photo Mechanic go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Windows Explorer window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline domhnall20

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 07:42:24 AM »
Thanks Kirk, here you are

Domhnall

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 09:42:23 AM »
Domhnall,

Thanks Kirk, here you are

Thanks for the log.  I see no errors of any kind related to Ingest.  For a problem like this, I suggest contacting our support folks at:

By email: support@camerabits.com

By phone: +1 503.547.2888  //  Fax: +1 503.547.2880

Hours: Mon-Fri, 9:00am-5:00pm [PST/PDT]

Offline domhnall20

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2016, 11:37:54 AM »
thanks Kirk  I will do that. In case this helps any, I have just comapred the setting on my desktop and my laptop they are identical, yet on the laptop I can ingest raw files, on the desktop PM5 ingests only the xmp files and not the raw files.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 08:00:33 AM »
thanks Kirk  I will do that. In case this helps any, I have just comapred the setting on my desktop and my laptop they are identical, yet on the laptop I can ingest raw files, on the desktop PM5 ingests only the xmp files and not the raw files.

I noticed you're ingesting folders and not disks even though you're working with a camera card.  Is there a reason for this?  If you ingest folders, only the folder and child folders of that folder will be downloaded, any other sibling folders (and their children folders) will be ignored completely.

I suggest you Ingest Disks instead of Ingest Folders whenever you're working with a camera card.

-Kirk

Offline domhnall20

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 03:09:21 AM »
It was because I still had some old previously ingested photos on the card.  Card or folder made no    difference. Turns out that photomechanic has issues if  you ingest to a nas drive. If I ingest to a local drive it works fine but not nas

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 08:59:26 AM »
It was because I still had some old previously ingested photos on the card.  Card or folder made no    difference. Turns out that photomechanic has issues if  you ingest to a nas drive. If I ingest to a local drive it works fine but not nas

What kind of NAS do you have?  If PM can't copy a file to a destination, it will report errors to the Ingest progress window and to the PM.log file.

-Kirk