Author Topic: manage color button  (Read 7068 times)

Offline billy3220

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
manage color button
« on: February 23, 2007, 09:55:45 PM »
Can anyone give me a quick explanation of the manage color button, what is the purpose, what does it do?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: manage color button
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 10:07:32 PM »
Can anyone give me a quick explanation of the manage color button, what is the purpose, what does it do?

In the toolbar?  It turns on/off Color Management.  There's one for the thumbnails in the Contact Sheet, and one in the Preview window for Previews.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline billy3220

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 10:10:01 PM »
so with the button turned on it displays the photo with your monitor profile and with it off it displays the icc profile? am i getting that right?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 11:09:58 PM »
so with the button turned on it displays the photo with your monitor profile and with it off it displays the icc profile? am i getting that right?

With it turned on it matches the image's color space to the monitor's color space.  With it off, no color management is performed at all.

-Kirk

Offline billy3220

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 11:19:52 PM »
So when I calibrate my monitor it automatically works with the monitor, when the button is turned on, to show me what the image will look like printed; or do I have to change any settings for the button to work properly.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 11:34:26 PM »
So when I calibrate my monitor it automatically works with the monitor, when the button is turned on, to show me what the image will look like printed; or do I have to change any settings for the button to work properly.

To see what printed output would look like would require that you have a profile for your printer and then it would require that Photo Mechanic had the capability to do "soft proofing".  It currently cannot do soft proofing.

What you're going to get is the best representation of the mapping of the gamut of your camera to the gamut of your monitor.  If the gamut of your monitor is equal to that of your camera then you will get a faithful rendering of the colors.  Otherwise the colors will be compressed to fit into the gamut of your monitor profile.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline billy3220

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 11:39:48 PM »
ok i get it now thanks for clearing it up