Author Topic: Emailing photos  (Read 4259 times)

Offline goddenphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Darryl Godden Photography
Emailing photos
« on: September 04, 2016, 12:21:35 AM »
Please, please sort out the ability to have a caption on each photo when sending multiple photos via email.
---------------------------------------------------------
http://darrylgoddenphoto.co.uk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Emailing photos
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 10:17:18 AM »
Please, please sort out the ability to have a caption on each photo when sending multiple photos via email.

It's probably not something we'll take on in the near term.  Because of the differences between email clients it isn't always possible to control them well enough to insert text followed by an inline image followed by text and so on.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 10:20:44 AM »
As Kirk said, this is hard to achieve in the mail body. But if you mean to add the caption onto the image itself, then that is possible by using the watermark feature. There you can specify e.g., the {caption} variable to be the text of the watermark. Does that suit your needs?
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline goddenphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 03:45:44 AM »
Probably my naivety, but if there's a loop putting the photos into an email, why can't the caption run after each loop? I'm not saying I'm a pro, but I've experience of setting up email from my time at the NEC and we simply couldn't have created emails like this if we'd have had to do it separately.

Sadly I've taken on two clients who take their images in emails, I can't have the caption as a watermark as it's not what they want, so on Saturday when sending one of the clients photos from a rugby match, I had to create 37 emails and send them over separately, so they could see the captions.

I know PM creates the emails for me, but it isn't very professional to send so many, and this is rugby - last years Ironman saw 174 photos submitted to local news.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 04:21:19 AM by goddenphoto »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 05:48:55 PM »
Probably my naivety, but if there's a loop putting the photos into an email, why can't the caption run after each loop? I'm not saying I'm a pro, but I've experience of setting up email from my time at the NEC and we simply couldn't have created emails like this if we'd have had to do it separately.

Because the flexibility in the programming interface just isn't there.  I can put the caption in the body x times, but the images will follow all of the captions.  I can't (via the programming interface) say "add this text" then "add this image" then "add this text" then "add this image" and so on.  I have to work with what tools are available and basically it's "add this entire block of text" then "add all of these images".

Sadly I've taken on two clients who take their images in emails, I can't have the caption as a watermark as it's not what they want, so on Saturday when sending one of the clients photos from a rugby match, I had to create 37 emails and send them over separately, so they could see the captions.

I know PM creates the emails for me, but it isn't very professional to send so many, and this is rugby - last years Ironman saw 174 photos submitted to local news.

What about simply hosting a website where you use one of the Exporter templates to get a layout that you like, and then tell your clients to visit the site and download the images that they like?

-Kirk

Offline Odd Skjaeveland

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 11:45:15 PM »
Because the flexibility in the programming interface just isn't there.  I can put the caption in the body x times, but the images will follow all of the captions.  I can't (via the programming interface) say "add this text" then "add this image" then "add this text" then "add this image" and so on.

I can't remember if MAPI supports setting the Content-Description for attachments or not. A mail client that supports Content-Description, displays the value with the attachment indicators (icon and suggested filename).
--
Odd S.

Offline goddenphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 03:25:42 AM »
I assume the IPTC information IS embedded with the image? Is there a simple IPTC reader available that I could point my client to, and they could pull the caption from the picture using that?

Offline fabianlujan

• sports photographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 07:49:23 AM »
I want to help you.
Please tell me why you ended up sending 37 emails to only 2 clients?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 09:01:32 AM »
I assume the IPTC information IS embedded with the image? Is there a simple IPTC reader available that I could point my client to, and they could pull the caption from the picture using that?

What application(s) are your clients using to view your images?  Just email?

Mac OS X has a Preview app that can show some metadata.
Windows can show some metadata right from Windows Explorer.

ExifTool is free (and there are GUI versions available) and can show metadata on a multitude of image types.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Tony Hall

• View Profile
    • Tony Hall Photography
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 09:40:31 AM »
If email is the only acceptable solution with your clients, why don't you use PM's text exporter (File>Export>Text Exporter) to generate a text file containing all the captions on.

Use something simple like:
{filename}

{caption}

---------------------------------------------------------------------

You could then either send them the text file along with the images, or copy and paste the text into your email as a block of text. Not as nice as image, caption; image, caption; image, caption...but very simple.

Personally I generate a web gallery for my clients, as emailing lots of attachments can cause problems with corporate email systems.

Offline fabianlujan

• sports photographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 12:45:43 PM »
I was pointing into Tony Hall direction.

Send few emails with many attachments plus one text file describing each image.

Offline goddenphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 06:42:24 AM »
Now that sounds like a plan!  ;D