Author Topic: Preview in Contact Sheet  (Read 14706 times)

Offline elianoimperato

• Photojournalist
    • View Profile
    • eliano imperato
Preview in Contact Sheet
« on: September 06, 2016, 08:28:24 AM »
Hello,

I'm working with .dng files and I can see the modified photos in the Contact Sheet, but If I open an untouched file after I worked on it I can't see what I've done in the Contact Sheet. I've tried to Refresh and Rescan but nothing happened. Why?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Preview in Contact Sheet
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 08:58:09 AM »
Hello,

I'm working with .dng files and I can see the modified photos in the Contact Sheet, but If I open an untouched file after I worked on it I can't see what I've done in the Contact Sheet. I've tried to Refresh and Rescan but nothing happened. Why?

What is "an untouched file" and what does "after I worked on it" mean?

I can't tell from what you're saying what is different about modified photos vs. untouched files.

Speculation: if the changes you made in whatever application you're working with doesn't update the embedded preview in the DNG file then PM won't have access to the changes you made.  If you can get the preview updated in the DNG file then PM will show the updated image.

-Kirk

Offline elianoimperato

• Photojournalist
    • View Profile
    • eliano imperato
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 09:11:50 AM »
Hello,

I can't tell from what you're saying what is different about modified photos vs. untouched files.

Speculation: if the changes you made in whatever application you're working with doesn't update the embedded preview in the DNG file then PM won't have access to the changes you made.  If you can get the preview updated in the DNG file then PM will show the updated image.

-Kirk

I opened a Contact Sheet with some DNG files that I've worked on using Photoshop and I can see all the changes I made. Then I opened an unmodified photo from the same Contact Sheet, I've worked on it in Photoshop, saved the changes and returned in PM and I can't see the changes.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 12:53:49 PM »
Hello,

I opened a Contact Sheet with some DNG files that I've worked on using Photoshop and I can see all the changes I made. Then I opened an unmodified photo from the same Contact Sheet, I've worked on it in Photoshop, saved the changes and returned in PM and I can't see the changes.

Is this photo also a DNG file?  If so, did its preview get updated?

-Kirk

Offline elianoimperato

• Photojournalist
    • View Profile
    • eliano imperato
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 03:00:12 PM »
Hello,

-Kirk

They are all DNG files, I tried to Refresh and Rescan (I don't know if is correct) but nothing happening.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 07:30:24 PM »

They are all DNG files, I tried to Refresh and Rescan (I don't know if is correct) but nothing happening.

If the DNG is modified, then PM will automatically reload the preview.  If the preview isn't updated (instead just some ACR settings are updated) then PM will load the preview anyway, but since it hasn't been updated you will see no difference in PM.

Here is what you can do to test this theory: after making your changes and not seeing them in PM, use Adobe's free DNG Converter application to create a new DNG with a large preview.  Then view that DNG file in PM.  You should definitely see the changes.  If this works then you'll need to find out why with this particular workflow the preview in the DNG isn't being updated.  What is different about the other files and how you process them that PM sees the changes but the way you process this file PM does not see the changes?

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline elianoimperato

• Photojournalist
    • View Profile
    • eliano imperato
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 02:25:04 AM »

If the DNG is modified, then PM will automatically reload the preview.  If the preview isn't updated (instead just some ACR settings are updated) then PM will load the preview anyway, but since it hasn't been updated you will see no difference in PM.

Here is what you can do to test this theory: after making your changes and not seeing them in PM, use Adobe's free DNG Converter application to create a new DNG with a large preview.  Then view that DNG file in PM.  You should definitely see the changes.  If this works then you'll need to find out why with this particular workflow the preview in the DNG isn't being updated.  What is different about the other files and how you process them that PM sees the changes but the way you process this file PM does not see the changes?

HTH,

-Kirk

I've opened a Contact Sheet with some DNG files, some that I've already worked on with Photoshop (and I can see the preview in PM) and some I've never modified. If I open and work on the DNG files that I've never modified then I can't see the changes in PM.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 10:21:08 AM »
Editing DNGs this way should work just fine and you definitely should be seeing the updates both in PM and in Photoshop when you next edit the same image.

Are you definitely making changes to the files in Adobe Camera Raw and are you closing the dialog with DONE and not by quitting the dialog with e.g., ESC? If so you should see a (brief) dialog window were Photoshop shows you the progress of the save and DNG preview updating.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline elianoimperato

• Photojournalist
    • View Profile
    • eliano imperato
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 09:27:55 AM »
Editing DNGs this way should work just fine and you definitely should be seeing the updates both in PM and in Photoshop when you next edit the same image.

Are you definitely making changes to the files in Adobe Camera Raw and are you closing the dialog with DONE and not by quitting the dialog with e.g., ESC? If so you should see a (brief) dialog window were Photoshop shows you the progress of the save and DNG preview updating.

Yes, I make changes to the files in Adobe Camera Raw and then I close the dialog with DONE but I can't see the changes in PM.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2016, 04:30:42 PM »

Yes, I make changes to the files in Adobe Camera Raw and then I close the dialog with DONE but I can't see the changes in PM.

Is there some place you can post a sample DNG file in two versions, one before making changes, and the second one after the changes are made?  I'd really like to see these files.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline elianoimperato

• Photojournalist
    • View Profile
    • eliano imperato
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2016, 02:51:58 PM »

Is there some place you can post a sample DNG file in two versions, one before making changes, and the second one after the changes are made?  I'd really like to see these files.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Hi Kirk,

here's the link with two screenshots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4Fs7P7gqlcJbTg0eHlvZzgyams

In the first one you can see the DNG file without changes; in the second one the file opened in Adobe Camera Raw. After clicking Done the the file in PM appears like in the the first screenshot... so without the updated preview.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2016, 05:11:04 PM »
I believe you.  But I need to have access to the image before and after you made the edit to try and find out why the problem is happening.  Evidence of the problem is great, but I need the files so I can investigate further.  Can you provide them to me, please?  If you don't want to post the images publicly, please send me a private message with the link.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline elianoimperato

• Photojournalist
    • View Profile
    • eliano imperato
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2016, 01:45:01 AM »
I believe you.  But I need to have access to the image before and after you made the edit to try and find out why the problem is happening.  Evidence of the problem is great, but I need the files so I can investigate further.  Can you provide them to me, please?  If you don't want to post the images publicly, please send me a private message with the link.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Sure Kirk!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2016, 10:05:00 AM »
Thanks for the samples.

Only the XMP metadata differs between the two DNG files you provided me.  The previews are the same in both files.  Because the second DNG's preview does not reflect the changes you made to the Adobe Camera RAW settings, the preview shown in PM also does not reflect the changes you made in Adobe Camera RAW.

You need to find some way to force the preview to be updated of PM won't show you what you expect to see.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline elianoimperato

• Photojournalist
    • View Profile
    • eliano imperato
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2016, 03:13:28 PM »
Thanks for the samples.

Only the XMP metadata differs between the two DNG files you provided me.  The previews are the same in both files.  Because the second DNG's preview does not reflect the changes you made to the Adobe Camera RAW settings, the preview shown in PM also does not reflect the changes you made in Adobe Camera RAW.

You need to find some way to force the preview to be updated of PM won't show you what you expect to see.

HTH,

-Kirk

Kirk,

this is the preview in PM: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4Fs7P7gqlcJMTFlY25wZzAtUjA

this is the preview in Adobe Bridge: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4Fs7P7gqlcJLVdPZXlaeGY5TWM

and the DNG file is the same. Why? Please, help me.