Author Topic: Preview in Contact Sheet  (Read 14684 times)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Preview in Contact Sheet
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2016, 04:31:54 PM »
Thanks for the samples.

Only the XMP metadata differs between the two DNG files you provided me.  The previews are the same in both files.  Because the second DNG's preview does not reflect the changes you made to the Adobe Camera RAW settings, the preview shown in PM also does not reflect the changes you made in Adobe Camera RAW.

You need to find some way to force the preview to be updated of PM won't show you what you expect to see.

this is the preview in PM: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4Fs7P7gqlcJMTFlY25wZzAtUjA

this is the preview in Adobe Bridge: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4Fs7P7gqlcJLVdPZXlaeGY5TWM

and the DNG file is the same. Why? Please, help me.

Bridge is rendering the DNG file.  Photo Mechanic cannot render the DNG file because Adobe doesn't give us their rendering technology.  Photo Mechanic must display the embedded JPEG preview of the DNG file.  Since your DNG file's preview does not reflect the changes you made, PM doesn't show them.

You need to find some way to get Adobe's tools to update the embedded preview in your DNG file.  Earlier, Hayo Baan told you how to accomplish this:

Are you definitely making changes to the files in Adobe Camera Raw and are you closing the dialog with DONE and not by quitting the dialog with e.g., ESC? If so you should see a (brief) dialog window where Photoshop shows you the progress of the save and DNG preview updating.

Please make sure you're properly updating your DNG files.

If the preview isn't updated then you won't see your adjustments in PM.

-Kirk

Offline elianoimperato

• Photojournalist
    • View Profile
    • eliano imperato
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2016, 03:14:14 AM »
Editing DNGs this way should work just fine and you definitely should be seeing the updates both in PM and in Photoshop when you next edit the same image.

Are you definitely making changes to the files in Adobe Camera Raw and are you closing the dialog with DONE and not by quitting the dialog with e.g., ESC? If so you should see a (brief) dialog window were Photoshop shows you the progress of the save and DNG preview updating.

Hayo, please, can you help me? When I closing with DONE I don't see the brief dialog window were Photoshop shows me the progress of the save.

Offline elianoimperato

• Photojournalist
    • View Profile
    • eliano imperato
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2016, 03:02:08 PM »
Ok, finally I found my answer:

"If you are working with DNG's in Camera Raw, you can go into Adobe's Camera Raw preferences and make sure that "Update embedded JPEG previews" is turned on".*

*http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=Output

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2016, 02:34:53 PM »
Sorry for not replying earlier; I am/was on holiday without frequent access to internet. Good to hear you found the solution yourself in the meantime though :)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline elianoimperato

• Photojournalist
    • View Profile
    • eliano imperato
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2016, 09:46:10 AM »
Sorry for not replying earlier; I am/was on holiday without frequent access to internet. Good to hear you found the solution yourself in the meantime though :)

No problem, thank you  :)