Author Topic: Lightroom and PM  (Read 4259 times)

Offline VGER

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Lightroom and PM
« on: September 10, 2016, 05:42:18 AM »
Hello,

I'm using both Lightroom and Photo Mechanic together, in two different workflows:

Case 1: With "volume" shootings (e.g. sports), where I have many (hundreds) of images, most of which are unneccessary to keep, I import the card contents with PM to a folder on the local HDD. I then select the "keepers" and import only them into Lightroom, by which process they are also copied a second time to my Lightroom storage structure.

Case 2: Other shootings, e.g. from my own holidays, I import completly into Lightroom. The files end up in the Lightroom hierarchy directly, without detour through a local folder or selection via PM.

In this second case: What will happen if I point PM directly to a folder within my Lightroom structure and start selecting there? When I set ratings (stars and colors), maybe add metadata and so on, will that show up in Lightroom without problems? (I have "always write XMP" already enabled in Lightroom.)

In the past, Lightroom sometimes gave me the icon for "metadata conflict", prompting me to choose between catalog settings and XML settings. Will that occur again, or will Lightroom just seamlessly accept the changes from PM?

Regards

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Lightroom and PM
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 11:58:43 AM »
Hello,

I'm using both Lightroom and Photo Mechanic together, in two different workflows:

Case 1: With "volume" shootings (e.g. sports), where I have many (hundreds) of images, most of which are unneccessary to keep, I import the card contents with PM to a folder on the local HDD. I then select the "keepers" and import only them into Lightroom, by which process they are also copied a second time to my Lightroom storage structure.

Case 2: Other shootings, e.g. from my own holidays, I import completly into Lightroom. The files end up in the Lightroom hierarchy directly, without detour through a local folder or selection via PM.

In this second case: What will happen if I point PM directly to a folder within my Lightroom structure and start selecting there? When I set ratings (stars and colors), maybe add metadata and so on, will that show up in Lightroom without problems? (I have "always write XMP" already enabled in Lightroom.)

I would expect it to work fine, but you'll have to manually tell Lr to re-read the changed metadata.

-Kirk