Author Topic: Captions & Filenames  (Read 2266 times)

Offline stoner27

• View Profile
    • Colin Port Images Motorsport Photography
Captions & Filenames
« on: September 14, 2016, 02:01:50 AM »
Hi,

I have been using my  website address & Facebook page as links in captions in the IPTC Stationary Pad, this works great as it puts the link on every photo even when shared on Facebook Etc.

The problem i have is that I also use the filenames off the camera (IMG) for customers to find photos and when i upload to my website the filenames don't show if i have a caption inserted !

My website is with Smugmug and filenames are enabled but they say it won't show the camera filenames with a caption inserted. Is there a way around this in the Stationary Pad settings ?

Hope you can help  :)

Col

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Captions & Filenames
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 08:36:43 AM »
Col,

I have been using my  website address & Facebook page as links in captions in the IPTC Stationary Pad, this works great as it puts the link on every photo even when shared on Facebook Etc.

The problem i have is that I also use the filenames off the camera (IMG) for customers to find photos and when i upload to my website the filenames don't show if i have a caption inserted !

My website is with Smugmug and filenames are enabled but they say it won't show the camera filenames with a caption inserted. Is there a way around this in the Stationary Pad settings ?

You could clear the caption via the IPTC Stationery Pad as you're uploading to SmugMug and only the uploaded images will be affected (the originals will remain unchanged.)

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline stoner27

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 08:49:25 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Sorry but i want to keep the caption with my website Etc. on as well as the filename from the camera, would i change the caption to amend maybe ?

The problem is with Smugmug, if i put a caption in before i upload it doesn't put the filename in, just the caption, if i don't put a cation it will put the filename in !

Do you get what i mean ?

Col

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 11:14:30 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Sorry but i want to keep the caption with my website Etc. on as well as the filename from the camera, would i change the caption to amend maybe ?

The problem is with Smugmug, if i put a caption in before i upload it doesn't put the filename in, just the caption, if i don't put a cation it will put the filename in !

Do you get what i mean ?

Yes, but it sounds like nothing can be done to fix the problem.  Leave the captions out, you get filenames.  Put captions in, you lose the filenames.  Sounds like to me there is no way to have both with SmugMug.

-Kirk

Offline stoner27

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 12:01:07 PM »
Correct Kirk  :(

I will put my info as a Headline even though it won't link ! I have used the IMG file numbers since i started so i don't want to change that now, unless i could just put IMG in to change the file names & it would number them automatically ?

Anyway no worries

Thanks

Col