Author Topic: IPTC Information not saving  (Read 3199 times)

Offline photodad1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
IPTC Information not saving
« on: September 19, 2016, 05:13:57 PM »
Anytime I have a deadline to meet to submit photos for the local newspaper, I populate the IPTC caption area with the date and the what, when and where information.  I.e. - September 19, 2016: during the football game in Hometown, USA.  Once I save this, all I need to add is the players name and number just in front of the word "during".  I then save and go to the next photo and add the next player name and number and so on.  Once I have all the photos captioned, I then highlight all of the photos and save them as jpeg file and size to 3MB. From there I'll upload the photos to editor.  That time I sent the photos, the players name and number was not in the caption.  Is there a setting I'm missing when saving the photo?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: IPTC Information not saving
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 06:04:44 PM »
Anytime I have a deadline to meet to submit photos for the local newspaper, I populate the IPTC caption area with the date and the what, when and where information.  I.e. - September 19, 2016: during the football game in Hometown, USA.  Once I save this, all I need to add is the players name and number just in front of the word "during".  I then save and go to the next photo and add the next player name and number and so on.  Once I have all the photos captioned, I then highlight all of the photos and save them as jpeg file and size to 3MB. From there I'll upload the photos to editor.  That time I sent the photos, the players name and number was not in the caption.  Is there a setting I'm missing when saving the photo?

Are you applying an IPTC Stationery Pad while saving?  It could be clearing out the field during the save as.
Are you applying an IPTC Stationery Pad while uploading?  It could be clearing out the field during the upload.
Do the originals still have the data you entered?

-Kirk

Offline photodad1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 06:28:20 PM »
Yes I'm saving before going to the next photo. 
I do a "Save As" to 3 MB files.  I then select the newly named file and upload to the editor.  When I go back to Photo Mechanic, I see the file name with the whole caption and I also see the file with the generic name with the partial caption.  Am I saving it wrong?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 06:59:51 PM »
Yes I'm saving before going to the next photo. 
I do a "Save As" to 3 MB files.  I then select the newly named file and upload to the editor.  When I go back to Photo Mechanic, I see the file name with the whole caption and I also see the file with the generic name with the partial caption.  Am I saving it wrong?

Are you applying an IPTC Stationery Pad during the Save As or the Upload?  If you're applying an IPTC Stationery Pad during either of these operations, be sure to check the settings of the IPTC Stationery Pad to make sure it won't be modifying any fields you don't want getting modified.  Any field with that has the checkbox preceding it will be applied to your images as they are saved or uploaded.  If you don't want a field modified, uncheck the checkbox preceding the field.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline photodad1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 09:32:24 AM »
Kirk,

Please see attached screen shot.

Regards,

Chris

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 10:08:40 AM »
The screenshot clearly shows you are applying an iptc stationery pad so it is extremely likely that there lies your problem. As Kirk suggested, check the content of the IPTC stationary pad and clear out any fields you don't want changed (or disable it altogether).
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline photodad1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 10:40:07 AM »
I went to the IPTC Stationery Pad and unchecked the Description/Caption box.  Tried saving, however, when I pulled up the IPTC Stationery Pad, the check mark is there with "Replace" in the drop down.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 12:24:11 PM »
How did you close the IPTC stationary pad? Sounds like you cancelled the stationary pad instead of closing it…
After changing, close the pad, and then verify your changes held by reopening it again (note: the dropdown will always have some value, it's the checkmark that should not be checked).

If you still see something different after this, pleas upload a screenshot of your stationary pad (by the way, you're not using the classic one, are you?).
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 12:26:25 PM by Hayo Baan »
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl