Author Topic: Print/ export photos as jpg files with iptc info as footer or photo caption  (Read 4239 times)

Offline tj

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Mac Mini w/ Mavericks and PM v5.0
We currently print many photos each to a single page with iptc data as photo captions in the footer. Each page has one image with an iptc info caption at the bottom of each printed on a Mac "Save as pdf" option. Now we have a client that wants the same sheets (single image w/ caption at bottom) but saved as jpg instead of pdf. I know there are 3rd party programs to convert from pdf to jpg, but I was wondering if there is a way to do it within PMech.
We messed around with watermarking using iptc variables and it showed promise, but we batch print hundreds of photos at a time and text color often gets lost in some of the images (black text on a dark background). It is too impractical to change the font color for each print.
What we really need is the same watermark feature that we can position at the bottom of the page, but has a white background to show the lettering better on a consistent basis.
We also messed around with some of the exporter programs but nothing seems like it will work or save time.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Print/ export photos as jpg files with iptc info as footer or photo caption
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 10:02:50 PM »
Mac Mini w/ Mavericks and PM v5.0
We currently print many photos each to a single page with iptc data as photo captions in the footer. Each page has one image with an iptc info caption at the bottom of each printed on a Mac "Save as pdf" option. Now we have a client that wants the same sheets (single image w/ caption at bottom) but saved as jpg instead of pdf. I know there are 3rd party programs to convert from pdf to jpg, but I was wondering if there is a way to do it within PMech.

No, there is no way to print to a JPEG.  PM is printing to a printer driver.  Mac OS X offers a printer driver that "prints" to PDF, but it does not offer a printer driver that prints to JPEG.  Sorry.

-Kirk

Offline Tony Hall

• View Profile
    • Tony Hall Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 06:19:14 AM »
What we really need is the same watermark feature that we can position at the bottom of the page, but has a white background to show the lettering better on a consistent basis.

You could create a simple white png image, then place that image as an Image Logo in the Watermark... control panel (in addition to the Text), to act as a background for your generated watermark text.

Obviously this will cover part of the image, but you could experiment with the shape, colour, opacity and positioning of this 'logo' to render a pleasing result.

A very quick proof of concept using a dark and light image (also rendering other image variables in addition to {caption})...

I wanted to demo a simple but more elegant result but there's either something weird going on with PM's font rendering in the Watermark... panel, or I'm being mindnumbingly stupid.  ???
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 06:25:18 AM by Tony Hall »

Offline tj

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 12:17:02 PM »
Thanks very much for replies.
Tony's suggestion is almost perfectly what I was looking for. Thanks a million for that.
Now having problems with image orientation (landscape or portrait) and font size consistency.
I noticed Tony asking the same question on this other thread (http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=10548.0) and I will continue over there.