Author Topic: Captions not picked up with upload  (Read 2629 times)

Offline muscofam

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Captions not picked up with upload
« on: September 24, 2016, 04:30:17 AM »
Hi, I'm having a problem that with my uploads from PM to prestosports, my captions are not picked up/visible. It's a lot of work wasted. I have some form of caption with each picture either describing the action or the players names. I have written to both prestosports and Camera Bits in the past two years. Prestosports said they would look into it and Camera Bits said they didn't have the time to work with prestosports. I find it hard to imagine that a sports site is not fully compatible to PM. I, in my very limited technical knowledge, have tried changing the settings with the iptc/xmp settings without success and have gone back to the default settings. Is the problem with my settings or is it with prestosports? Is there any hope to correct this. Thank you for your help. Steve Musco

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Captions not picked up with upload
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 07:59:55 PM »
Steve,

Hi, I'm having a problem that with my uploads from PM to prestosports, my captions are not picked up/visible. It's a lot of work wasted. I have some form of caption with each picture either describing the action or the players names. I have written to both prestosports and Camera Bits in the past two years. Prestosports said they would look into it and Camera Bits said they didn't have the time to work with prestosports. I find it hard to imagine that a sports site is not fully compatible to PM. I, in my very limited technical knowledge, have tried changing the settings with the iptc/xmp settings without success and have gone back to the default settings. Is the problem with my settings or is it with prestosports? Is there any hope to correct this. Thank you for your help.

First thing to make sure of is that if you're applying the IPTC Stationery Pad during the upload, that it isn't set to clear out any information.  If you're not applying the IPTC Stationery Pad then this won't be the problem.

Which Upload template are you using to upload to prestosports?
Can you post a sample image here captioned the way you would send it to prestosports? Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your sample image.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline muscofam

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 06:59:08 AM »
Kirk, thank you for your reply. Attached is one of my pictures. I hope I can answer your questions. I apply the IPTC stationary pad when I when I bring the pics into pm. Usually I have it blank then add captions/code replacements at the end of my processing and save it.
What template to upload? I usually log onto prestosports, choose the game I am shooting then click "add photo album", choose the photo's (from finder on my mac?) then upload them. I am limited in my technical understanding and I have never used or understood the file uploader with PM. Could that be part of the issue?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 10:20:18 PM »
Kirk, thank you for your reply. Attached is one of my pictures. I hope I can answer your questions. I apply the IPTC stationary pad when I when I bring the pics into pm. Usually I have it blank then add captions/code replacements at the end of my processing and save it.
What template to upload? I usually log onto prestosports, choose the game I am shooting then click "add photo album", choose the photo's (from finder on my mac?) then upload them. I am limited in my technical understanding and I have never used or understood the file uploader with PM. Could that be part of the issue?

Your image clearly has both IPTC and XMP metadata and includes the Caption field, Event field, Copyright, etc.

I expect that "prestosports" only picks up captions from the EXIF description field which PM does not update.  They really need to get their service updated to deal with XMP.  XMP is the present and future of metadata for images.

-Kirk