Author Topic: Limit File Size to?  (Read 2791 times)

Offline ng1111

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Limit File Size to?
« on: September 30, 2016, 11:57:23 PM »
So I have did a search to see if this was asked and answered and it seems to have but maybe I'm missing something when I do it.  On July 5th of 2012 a photographer asked if there is a way to limit the size of a file being transmitted to a wire service via FTP.  Kirk said that it would be.  So I'm having trouble with this upload.  I to shoot, caption then edit in Photoshop and then save back to another folder a JPG file.  I like to save the file to it's maximum quality, but the wire service only wants a file that is 1.5 MB maximum. 

I thought by limiting the file on the upload by PM that the photo would not exceed that size.  But my photo editor just told me that my file size was not restricted and they were coming in anywhere from 5mb to 9 mb even though I am restricting it on upload.  What am I doing wrong?  I have attached a JPG showing my settings, can someone point me in the right direction?

I'm using Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 17719 (c8049ca) on a mac pro.

Thanks
Neville

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Limit File Size to?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 01:05:56 AM »
Neville,

So I have did a search to see if this was asked and answered and it seems to have but maybe I'm missing something when I do it.  On July 5th of 2012 a photographer asked if there is a way to limit the size of a file being transmitted to a wire service via FTP.  Kirk said that it would be.  So I'm having trouble with this upload.  I to shoot, caption then edit in Photoshop and then save back to another folder a JPG file.  I like to save the file to it's maximum quality, but the wire service only wants a file that is 1.5 MB maximum. 

I thought by limiting the file on the upload by PM that the photo would not exceed that size.  But my photo editor just told me that my file size was not restricted and they were coming in anywhere from 5mb to 9 mb even though I am restricting it on upload.  What am I doing wrong?  I have attached a JPG showing my settings, can someone point me in the right direction?

I'm using Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 17719 (c8049ca) on a mac pro.

Set the quality all the way to the left.  Then the size will take precedence and you should see your file sizes match what you have chosen.

-Kirk

Offline ng1111

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Limit File Size to?
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 01:06:54 AM »
Thanks Kirk.  Great software.

Neville