Author Topic: Import changes create date of file.  (Read 8379 times)

Offline ucs308

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Import changes create date of file.
« on: September 30, 2016, 01:56:51 PM »
While doing a large rename and re-org of my work I used a renaming scheme that took the capture date and used (parts of ) that for the filename. Several thousand files have had their file create date and capture date reset.

How does that happen?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Import changes create date of file.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 02:20:26 PM »
While doing a large rename and re-org of my work I used a renaming scheme that took the capture date and used (parts of ) that for the filename. Several thousand files have had their file create date and capture date reset.

How does that happen?

Which specific data are you talking about?
File creation date as reported by the file system?
Capture date as reported by?

Perhaps screenshots will illustrate?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot(s).

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline ucs308

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 02:38:51 PM »
OK. My trial just expired and I only just noticed. But I used variables from your ingest dialog to rename and move the files. I have attached an image from MediaPro that shows the filename, create date, modified date, and capture date from the exif.

I am thinking that because the capture date stored in the EXIF was blank then photomechanic used the current date? 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 03:14:29 PM »
OK. My trial just expired and I only just noticed. But I used variables from your ingest dialog to rename and move the files. I have attached an image from MediaPro that shows the filename, create date, modified date, and capture date from the exif.

I am thinking that because the capture date stored in the EXIF was blank then photomechanic used the current date?

Can you post the original file?  With it I can determine exactly what is going on.  But in general, if there is no capture time in the EXIF, PM will fall back on the modification time of the file for capture time.

-Kirk

Offline ucs308

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 03:17:43 PM »
I am a little further with this.

One part of the problem is that MediaPro uses the EventDate for its date finder function instead of the capture date.

This has lead me to realise that for some reason the event date in PhotoMechanic's IPTC Data is always set to today. I have many times now changed it to use the capture date and then applied that IPTC stationary to some files and the event date is set to today. Where can I change this? I have created my own stationary for use during ingest. But when I select a bunch of a files and select 'Apply IPTC Stationary' it used information from an IPTC data set I can't seem to change.

I think this is operator error... but I have looked and looked and can't find a place to make the change in a way that sticks. 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 09:17:14 PM »
I am a little further with this.

One part of the problem is that MediaPro uses the EventDate for its date finder function instead of the capture date.

This has lead me to realise that for some reason the event date in PhotoMechanic's IPTC Data is always set to today. I have many times now changed it to use the capture date and then applied that IPTC stationary to some files and the event date is set to today. Where can I change this? I have created my own stationary for use during ingest. But when I select a bunch of a files and select 'Apply IPTC Stationary' it used information from an IPTC data set I can't seem to change.

I think this is operator error... but I have looked and looked and can't find a place to make the change in a way that sticks.

Without knowing what "Event Date" means to MediaPro in terms of file system creation date/modification date, EXIF Capture Date, IPTC Date, I can't tell what date information MediaPro is using for its "Event Date".  Do you have any ideas what metadata it uses for its "Event Date"?

-Kirk

Offline ucs308

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 06:16:42 PM »
The problem here was/is two fold.

1. I did not realise that when I ingested my files and applied IPTC data during Ingest that PM automatically set the IPTC Event Date to the current date and time. I.e. The time and date of the ingest. In my case I was I was Moving and Renaming a large number of files.

2. That problem lead me to use the Right-Click->Apply IPTC Stationary on a selection of files - So I could fix problem 1 above. But I can't find where the IPTC stationary for that command comes from. Where does PM get it?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 09:18:00 AM »
The problem here was/is two fold.

1. I did not realise that when I ingested my files and applied IPTC data during Ingest that PM automatically set the IPTC Event Date to the current date and time. I.e. The time and date of the ingest. In my case I was I was Moving and Renaming a large number of files.

2. That problem lead me to use the Right-Click->Apply IPTC Stationary on a selection of files - So I could fix problem 1 above. But I can't find where the IPTC stationary for that command comes from. Where does PM get it?

From the same IPTC Stationery Pad that is accessible from the Image menu.  (It's global.)

-Kirk

Offline ucs308

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 03:56:46 PM »
That is what I thought. But it doesn't save. So when I make a change to the event date - making it use the capture date for the event date - the next time it reverts to using 'Today'.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 09:15:32 AM »
That is what I thought. But it doesn't save. So when I make a change to the event date - making it use the capture date for the event date - the next time it reverts to using 'Today'.

Please post a JPEG screenshot of your IPTC/XMP Preferences settings.

-Kirk

Offline ucs308

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 11:57:59 AM »
"Always use todays date" was checked.

Thanks: That was the clue I needed. I don't think that should be the default option.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2016, 01:43:08 PM »
"Always use todays date" was checked.

Thanks: That was the clue I needed. I don't think that should be the default option.

As far as I know it isn't the default ;)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl