Author Topic: Automatically replicating caption information in other fields  (Read 3935 times)

Offline Claude Diderich

• Newcomer
  • Claude Diderich
    • View Profile
    • Claude Diderich Sports Pictures
Automatically replicating caption information in other fields
« on: October 01, 2016, 02:43:18 AM »
I am using code replacements to wrrite captions and complete other fields, like keywords or persons shown, with identical information.

It would be a great idea if I could define additional code replacement delimiter characters that would have as additional action to add the relaced information to other fields. For example, I would define $ as the code replacement delimiter for persons shown. Then, when entering $21$ in the caption it would replace $21$ in the cation with the actual information AND add the same information to the person shown field. Similarly I would define # as the code replacement delimiter for kewyowrds, Then when entering #S# in the caption it would replace #S# by, for example Switzerland in the caption and add Switzerland as an additional keyword.
This would mean that typing '$21$ of #S#' would replace to 'Peter Pan of Switzerland' in the caption and add 'Peter Pan' to the person shown field and add 'Switzerland' to the keywords field.

If the additional code replacement delimiters are used in other fields, they could behave like the defautl code replacement delimiter.

I could image such additional delimiters for the following fields:
\ -> default delimiter
$ -> add also to 'persons shown'
# -> add also to 'keywords'
* -> add also to 'city'
Claude Diderich, sports photographer, member of AIPS and sportpress.ch
Mülibachstrasse 49, CH-8805 Richterswil, Switzerland, phone: +41 (44) 450 81 66, fax: +41 (44) 450 81 19, mobile: +41 (79) 450 81 66, e-mail: cdiderich@cdsp.photo, internet: http://www.cdsp.photo/

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Automatically replicating caption information in other fields
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 11:41:24 PM »
It just can't be done realistically.  Code Replacement does not "know" about any specific field in any dialog.  It only has access to the metadata for the current image and to the text field currently being processed.  It doesn't know it is in the Caption field and it does not know about any other field.

I'd have to think of different ways of providing context and access to Code Replacement.

-Kirk

Offline Claude Diderich

• Newcomer
  • Claude Diderich
    • View Profile
    • Claude Diderich Sports Pictures
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 01:48:24 AM »
I see you point Kirk.

Maybe we need tho thing in a different direction to get a possible solution of adressing this duplicate information challenge. I currently don't have any other idea in mind. If somethink comes to my mind, I will let you know in this topic. If anybody else has an idea, I would love to hear it.
Claude Diderich, sports photographer, member of AIPS and sportpress.ch
Mülibachstrasse 49, CH-8805 Richterswil, Switzerland, phone: +41 (44) 450 81 66, fax: +41 (44) 450 81 19, mobile: +41 (79) 450 81 66, e-mail: cdiderich@cdsp.photo, internet: http://www.cdsp.photo/

Offline smorgan42

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 08:02:40 PM »
I frequently use the suppcat categories and variables to do what you're trying to accomplish here. I'll put the code in suppcat1 and have the other fields like keywords and caption pull that box using the variable {suppcat1}. If there is more than one, I can use the other suppcats for the codes.