Author Topic: Deleting files doesn't fully delete and locks them.  (Read 11930 times)

Offline wideopen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Wide Open Photography
Deleting files doesn't fully delete and locks them.
« on: October 04, 2016, 04:43:20 PM »
I'm on iMac, 10.9.5 running the most current build of PhotoMechanic. I don't notice this ALL the time because I often use Bridge instead but I've noticed it a couple times. And, it's something I can't fix myself since I don't have direct access to the Windows Server the images are on so I don't wanna continue to test it...

I've got a contact sheet open in PM. I sort through the files and when I delete an image I do not intend to use it doesn't actually delete it. I can see it in the Finder. I can see it in PM. If I close the contact sheet and reopen it I still see it but without any type of preview. But when I try to delete it again I get an "insufficient permissions" error.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike
--
Mike
WideOpenPhotography.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Deleting files doesn't fully delete and locks them.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 05:49:45 PM »
Mike,

I'm on iMac, 10.9.5 running the most current build of PhotoMechanic. I don't notice this ALL the time because I often use Bridge instead but I've noticed it a couple times. And, it's something I can't fix myself since I don't have direct access to the Windows Server the images are on so I don't wanna continue to test it...

I've got a contact sheet open in PM. I sort through the files and when I delete an image I do not intend to use it doesn't actually delete it. I can see it in the Finder. I can see it in PM. If I close the contact sheet and reopen it I still see it but without any type of preview. But when I try to delete it again I get an "insufficient permissions" error.

How are you deleting the file?
If you use the Finder to view the folder containing the file, is the size of the file reasonable?
Can you post a screen shot of the dialog presenting the "insufficient permissions" error?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline wideopen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Wide Open Photography
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 10:01:48 AM »
I'm deleting by having the file selected in PM and hitting the delete key. When it didn't delete I wondered if maybe the delete key wasn't programmed to actually delete (I've seen dumber things) so I right clicked on it and selected delete photo.

In finder the files are listed at an appropriate size (~22 meg CR2 file). When selected I can see a small thumbnail of the "deleted" file but when I select a file that exists I can see the preview that will scale with the size of the column it's in. That leads me to believe the thumbnail is cached somehow.

One attachment is from Bridge trying to delete and the other is from the Finder. When I try to delete in PM nothing happens.
--
Mike
WideOpenPhotography.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 11:18:59 AM »
Mike,

I'm deleting by having the file selected in PM and hitting the delete key. When it didn't delete I wondered if maybe the delete key wasn't programmed to actually delete (I've seen dumber things) so I right clicked on it and selected delete photo.

In finder the files are listed at an appropriate size (~22 meg CR2 file). When selected I can see a small thumbnail of the "deleted" file but when I select a file that exists I can see the preview that will scale with the size of the column it's in. That leads me to believe the thumbnail is cached somehow.

One attachment is from Bridge trying to delete and the other is from the Finder. When I try to delete in PM nothing happens.

In the Finder, Get Info on one of the photos and take a look at the permissions.

PM simply calls a function in the OS to delete the file.  It doesn't 'lock' it while it tries to delete it as that would be counterproductive.

-Kirk

Offline BlueDevilHH

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 02:27:04 PM »
This is like the problem that I requested some weeks ago.

On my MacPro (not MacBook Pro) I get a cleared preview of a photo when I try to delete it in PM5, but it will not be deleted on the harddrive. When I close PM5 and reopen it, the preview will be rebuild.
When I try to move it with a drag and drop mousemove to another directory it will be moved, but it's still in the original directory with the same effect that I get a cleared preview (gray photobox) and when I close PM5 and reopen it, the photo will be shown.

To delete the files in the finder (jump to it with "Reveal in Finder") works. Also to move the photos with the "Copy photo"-Function.
I tried to give all possible rights for everybody (Admin, Users, System,...) to all files of this harddrive, but that does'nt help. :-(

I tried to get a solution with the Camerabits-Support, but at this time I had no time to work on this problem.

My harddrive is partitioned and formated as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) like all my drive in my Mac pro.

Offline wideopen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Wide Open Photography
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 04:39:55 PM »
The files are NOT locked.
My username has Read & Write access.
Everyone has No Access.

"Everyone" is obviously the problem since No Access typically supercedes all other permissions. When I try to change it to Everyone Read & Write I don't have permission.

When I look at a "good" file Everyone and Domain Users have Read only. My user has Read & Write. Admin, Domain Admins, and Engineering have Custom rights.

Mike
--
Mike
WideOpenPhotography.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 06:48:37 PM »
Mike,

The files are NOT locked.
My username has Read & Write access.
Everyone has No Access.

"Everyone" is obviously the problem since No Access typically supercedes all other permissions. When I try to change it to Everyone Read & Write I don't have permission.

When I look at a "good" file Everyone and Domain Users have Read only. My user has Read & Write. Admin, Domain Admins, and Engineering have Custom rights.

So for any given file that you attempt to delete, prior to the delete the Windows permissions are fine, and when PM on your Mac tries to delete one of these files, it somehow makes "Everyone" have no access?

-Kirk

Offline wideopen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Wide Open Photography
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 09:00:27 AM »
So for any given file that you attempt to delete, prior to the delete the Windows permissions are fine, and when PM on your Mac tries to delete one of these files, it somehow makes "Everyone" have no access?

I just tested it both using the delete key and right-click-delete-photo and that's exactly what it did both times. It also removed all specific or custom permissions for all users except Everyone (no access) and mstevens (my username, read and write).

Mike
--
Mike
WideOpenPhotography.com

Offline BlueDevilHH

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 11:03:47 AM »
Excuse me, but I can't try it now on my Mac Pro, because I'm 250 miles far from my office. I'll try it immediately when I'm back.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 11:41:22 AM »

I just tested it both using the delete key and right-click-delete-photo and that's exactly what it did both times. It also removed all specific or custom permissions for all users except Everyone (no access) and mstevens (my username, read and write).

Mike

Could you open up a Terminal window and enter the following?

ls -albe@

(followed by a space) and then drag and drop a file before you try to delete it with PM onto the Terminal window.  Copy and paste the output in your reply.

Then repeat the same procedure after you try to delete the file?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2016, 11:43:53 AM »
Excuse me, but I can't try it now on my Mac Pro, because I'm 250 miles far from my office. I'll try it immediately when I'm back.

That's OK.  I'm really trying to work with the original poster here.  I'll help you if I can, but his situation is different from yours.  You're using a local disk and Mike is using a server.

If you don't mind, start a new thread with your specific problem.  It will be easier to keep track of what is going on.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline wideopen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Wide Open Photography
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2016, 12:22:02 PM »
Before deleting:
Last login: Thu Oct  6 08:33:43 on console
ds-mobilewks-01:~ mstevens$ ls -albe@ /Volumes/Share/Daystar\ Images\ and\ Artwork/Daystar\ New\ Artwork/Vehicle\ Photos/Chris\'\ Silverado/RAW/BM141802\ 4.CR2
-rwx------+ 1 mstevens  DAYSTAR\Domain Users  22891491 Oct  4 10:33 /Volumes/Share/Daystar Images and Artwork/Daystar New Artwork/Vehicle Photos/Chris' Silverado/RAW/BM141802 4.CR2
 0: user:mstevens allow write,delete,append,writeattr,writeextattr,chown
 1: user:root inherited allow read,write,execute,delete,append,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity,writesecurity,chown
 2: user:tempadmin inherited allow read,write,execute,delete,append,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity,writesecurity,chown
 3: group:admin inherited allow read,write,execute,delete,append,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity,writesecurity,chown
 4: group:everyone inherited allow read,execute,readattr,readextattr,readsecurity
 5: group:DAYSTAR\Domain Admins inherited allow read,write,execute,delete,append,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity,writesecurity,chown
 6: group:DAYSTAR\Domain Users inherited allow read,execute,readattr,readextattr,readsecurity
 7: group:DAYSTAR\Engineering inherited allow read,write,execute,delete,append,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity,writesecurity,chown
ds-mobilewks-01:~ mstevens$

After deleting:
Last login: Thu Oct  6 12:20:59 on ttys000
ds-mobilewks-01:~ mstevens$ ls -albe@ /Volumes/Share/Daystar\ Images\ and\ Artwork/Daystar\ New\ Artwork/Vehicle\ Photos/Chris\'\ Silverado/RAW/BM141802\ 4.CR2
-rwx------  1 mstevens  DAYSTAR\Domain Users  22891491 Oct  4 10:33 /Volumes/Share/Daystar Images and Artwork/Daystar New Artwork/Vehicle Photos/Chris' Silverado/RAW/BM141802 4.CR2
--
Mike
WideOpenPhotography.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2016, 01:26:58 PM »
Before deleting:
Last login: Thu Oct  6 08:33:43 on console
-rwx------+ 1 mstevens  DAYSTAR\Domain Users  22891491 Oct  4 10:33 /Volumes/Share/Daystar Images and Artwork/Daystar New Artwork/Vehicle Photos/Chris' Silverado/RAW/BM141802 4.CR2
 0: user:mstevens allow write,delete,append,writeattr,writeextattr,chown
 1: user:root inherited allow read,write,execute,delete,append,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity,writesecurity,chown
 2: user:tempadmin inherited allow read,write,execute,delete,append,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity,writesecurity,chown
 3: group:admin inherited allow read,write,execute,delete,append,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity,writesecurity,chown
 4: group:everyone inherited allow read,execute,readattr,readextattr,readsecurity
 5: group:DAYSTAR\Domain Admins inherited allow read,write,execute,delete,append,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity,writesecurity,chown
 6: group:DAYSTAR\Domain Users inherited allow read,execute,readattr,readextattr,readsecurity
 7: group:DAYSTAR\Engineering inherited allow read,write,execute,delete,append,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity,writesecurity,chown

After deleting:
Last login: Thu Oct  6 12:20:59 on ttys000
-rwx------  1 mstevens  DAYSTAR\Domain Users  22891491 Oct  4 10:33 /Volumes/Share/Daystar Images and Artwork/Daystar New Artwork/Vehicle Photos/Chris' Silverado/RAW/BM141802 4.CR2

Interesting in that when all of the ACLs are removed the Finder shows them as still existing.  I wonder if they're now coming from the folder containing the image.  Can you do this:

ls -aldbe@ (path to folder containing the above image, you should be able to drag and drop the folder itself onto the Terminal window)

...and paste the results in your reply?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline wideopen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Wide Open Photography
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2016, 04:26:06 PM »
Last login: Thu Oct  6 12:22:10 on ttys000
ds-mobilewks-01:~ mstevens$ ls -aldbe@ /Volumes/Share/Daystar\ Images\ and\ Artwork/Daystar\ New\ Artwork/Vehicle\ Photos/Chris\'\ Silverado/RAW
drwx------+ 1 mstevens  DAYSTAR\Domain Users  16384 Oct  6 12:19 /Volumes/Share/Daystar Images and Artwork/Daystar New Artwork/Vehicle Photos/Chris' Silverado/RAW
 0: user:root inherited allow list,add_file,search,delete,add_subdirectory,delete_child,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity,writesecurity,chown,file_inherit,directory_inherit
 1: user:tempadmin inherited allow list,add_file,search,delete,add_subdirectory,delete_child,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity,writesecurity,chown,file_inherit,directory_inherit
 2: group:admin inherited allow list,add_file,search,delete,add_subdirectory,delete_child,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity,writesecurity,chown,file_inherit,directory_inherit
 3: group:everyone inherited allow list,search,readattr,readextattr,readsecurity,file_inherit,directory_inherit
 4: group:DAYSTAR\Domain Admins inherited allow list,add_file,search,delete,add_subdirectory,delete_child,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity,writesecurity,chown,file_inherit,directory_inherit
 5: group:DAYSTAR\Domain Users inherited allow list,search,readattr,readextattr,readsecurity,file_inherit,directory_inherit
 6: group:DAYSTAR\Engineering inherited allow list,add_file,search,delete,add_subdirectory,delete_child,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity,writesecurity,chown,file_inherit,directory_inherit

I'm almost positive I ran into this in a different directory as well. Same server.

Mike
--
Mike
WideOpenPhotography.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2016, 06:23:22 PM »
Mike,

Last login: Thu Oct  6 12:22:10 on ttys000
ds-mobilewks-01:~ mstevens$ ls -aldbe@ /Volumes/Share/Daystar\ Images\ and\ Artwork/Daystar\ New\ Artwork/Vehicle\ Photos/Chris\'\ Silverado/RAW
drwx------+ 1 mstevens  DAYSTAR\Domain Users  16384 Oct  6 12:19 /Volumes/Share/Daystar Images and Artwork/Daystar New Artwork/Vehicle Photos/Chris' Silverado/RAW
 0: user:root inherited allow list,add_file,search,delete,add_subdirectory,delete_child,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity,writesecurity,chown,file_inherit,directory_inherit
 1: user:tempadmin inherited allow list,add_file,search,delete,add_subdirectory,delete_child,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity,writesecurity,chown,file_inherit,directory_inherit
 2: group:admin inherited allow list,add_file,search,delete,add_subdirectory,delete_child,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity,writesecurity,chown,file_inherit,directory_inherit
 3: group:everyone inherited allow list,search,readattr,readextattr,readsecurity,file_inherit,directory_inherit
 4: group:DAYSTAR\Domain Admins inherited allow list,add_file,search,delete,add_subdirectory,delete_child,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity,writesecurity,chown,file_inherit,directory_inherit
 5: group:DAYSTAR\Domain Users inherited allow list,search,readattr,readextattr,readsecurity,file_inherit,directory_inherit
 6: group:DAYSTAR\Engineering inherited allow list,add_file,search,delete,add_subdirectory,delete_child,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity,writesecurity,chown,file_inherit,directory_inherit

I'm almost positive I ran into this in a different directory as well. Same server.

I'm going to make a new build of PM5 for you to try if you're willing to test?

Please let me know if you're willing to test a new build of PM5.

Thanks,

-Kirk