Author Topic: PM crashing - 5.0 build 17719, Mac OS 10.11.6  (Read 1999 times)

Offline DaveRe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM crashing - 5.0 build 17719, Mac OS 10.11.6
« on: October 10, 2016, 01:29:01 PM »

Photo Mechanic 5.0 build 17719, Mac OS 10.11.6 :-)

Photo Mechanic is crashing on me when I have one particular directory full of images open in a contact sheet. It doesn't crash with any of a number of other directories open. I'm suspecting something like maybe a corrupt image, but having trouble finding it?

The attachment is the crash report from the OS.

How best to troubleshoot?

Thanks!

Dave

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM crashing - 5.0 build 17719, Mac OS 10.11.6
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 03:37:20 PM »
Dave,

Photo Mechanic 5.0 build 17719, Mac OS 10.11.6 :-)

Photo Mechanic is crashing on me when I have one particular directory full of images open in a contact sheet. It doesn't crash with any of a number of other directories open. I'm suspecting something like maybe a corrupt image, but having trouble finding it?

The attachment is the crash report from the OS.

How best to troubleshoot?

A binary search works well for this.  Take the folder of images and move the second half of the set of images into a subfolder with the name of your choice.  Browse the folder.  Did the problem reoccur?  If so, then take the remaining images and split them in half again.  Keep doing this until you find the offending image(s) or you can browse without the problem occurring.  When the problem no longer occurs, browse the latest folder that causes the problem to happen.  If the latest folder crashes, split it in half and repeat this process until you find the offending image(s).

It may seem involved, but it cuts down the number of images you are considering by half at each iteration and will narrow down within a few iterations.

If you do find the offending image and wouldn't mind sharing it with me, I'll look into making PM react in a better way to the malformed image.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline DaveRe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: PM crashing - 5.0 build 17719, Mac OS 10.11.6
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 04:55:39 PM »

Thanks, Kirk - dropped you an email with a Dropbox link to the file.