Author Topic: Captions  (Read 2088 times)

Offline stoner27

• View Profile
    • Colin Port Images Motorsport Photography
Captions
« on: October 14, 2016, 07:51:05 AM »
Hi,

My website is with Smugmug, after speaking to them, if i put a caption in it will take the photo number from the camera out otf the captions. I got around this by changing the numbers out of the camera (i use the photo numbers(IMG) for people to find photos)

Last time i did a Stationary Pad the caption went in but didn't show the photo number. The caption was set to 'replace' so this was probably the problem, what do i need the caption set to ? Is it append ?

Col

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Captions
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 08:35:27 AM »
Col,

My website is with Smugmug, after speaking to them, if i put a caption in it will take the photo number from the camera out otf the captions. I got around this by changing the numbers out of the camera (i use the photo numbers(IMG) for people to find photos)

Last time i did a Stationary Pad the caption went in but didn't show the photo number. The caption was set to 'replace' so this was probably the problem, what do i need the caption set to ? Is it append ?

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say, but if you don't want the Caption field to be replaced when applying the Caption field via the IPTC Stationery Pad then you must use Prefix or Append.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline stoner27

• View Profile
    • Colin Port Images Motorsport Photography
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 09:04:42 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Smugmug use the photo number out of the camera as a caption unless you put your own in, i want to keep the photo number in as well as my own caption, is prefix & append basically the same ?

Col

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 10:02:52 AM »
Col,

Smugmug use the photo number out of the camera as a caption unless you put your own in, i want to keep the photo number in as well as my own caption, is prefix & append basically the same ?

Prefix puts the data you put in the Caption field before any existing Caption field data.  Append puts the data you put in the Caption field after any existing Caption field data.  You'll have to choose which option makes sense for your situation.  If no data currently exists in the Caption field for an image, then Prefix and Append are equivalent.

HTH,

-Kirk