Author Topic: PhotoMechanic problems on Sierra?  (Read 5160 times)

Offline DizzyReed

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PhotoMechanic problems on Sierra?
« on: October 12, 2016, 06:14:12 AM »
Hello there,

two weeks ago I got new MacBook Retina 13 and the first thing was upgrading to MacOS Sierra.

The problem was that battery life was quite problematic, as you will see, one of the causes could be Sierra and Photo Mechanic:
1) either the battery went down really quick
2) the battery was losing it's capacity even when the comp was in sleep in backpack - once it lost cca. 70% of capacity in 2 hours and it was burning hot, the Activity Monitor said, under Energy, Preventing Sleep - PhotoMechanic - Yes.

After this, I downgraded back to El Capitan and everything works perfectly. Does anyone else have this problems on Sierra? Or should I wait a bit still to upgrade to Sierra?

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: PhotoMechanic problems on Sierra?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 07:15:34 AM »
Was this shortly after you updated to Sierra? If so, than it might have been Sierra re-indexing your whole disk which can take quite some time and power...
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline DizzyReed

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 10:39:27 AM »
yes, it was. but the problems were there for a week, at least. and the disk was pretty much empty at that time (did not have time to copy all the stuff) ...

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 08:37:42 AM »
After this, I downgraded back to El Capitan and everything works perfectly. Does anyone else have this problems on Sierra? Or should I wait a bit still to upgrade to Sierra?

We always advise people not to upgrade to a new OS until at least one or two updates are released for the new OS.

-Kirk

Offline DizzyReed

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 05:48:13 AM »
Will do, thanks! Oh, updates of the OS or updates of PM after the release of the new OS?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 09:02:38 AM »
Will do, thanks! Oh, updates of the OS or updates of PM after the release of the new OS?

The OS.  We may also try to add workarounds for bugs in the new OS, but some can't be solved that way.

-Kirk