Author Topic: Memory Card Locked File Can't Be Color Tagged  (Read 3158 times)

Offline nataworry

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Memory Card Locked File Can't Be Color Tagged
« on: October 14, 2016, 10:42:09 AM »
Hi there,

If I import locked and unlocked files into PM, once I open a contact sheet I am unable to color-tag locked files. Is there a workaround? I tried unchecking the check mark in the contact sheet within PM to see if I could then color-tag the image but it won't allow me to do so.

Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Memory Card Locked File Can't Be Color Tagged
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 11:27:47 AM »
If I import locked and unlocked files into PM, once I open a contact sheet I am unable to color-tag locked files. Is there a workaround? I tried unchecking the check mark in the contact sheet within PM to see if I could then color-tag the image but it won't allow me to do so.

Are these images still on the camera card, or have you Ingested them to your computer's hard drive?

Do you have write permission on the image files?  If not, then PM will try to gain write permission if possible.  If PM can't gain access, then the operation will fail.

-Kirk

Offline nataworry

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 12:53:19 PM »
Thanks for your quick response. The files have already been ingested onto an external drive connected to my computer. I have no idea how to set permissions. I have been using PM for years and often import locked files. For some reason this has been an issue as of late. Maybe it's somehow related to me updating to the latest PM?

I've attached a screen capture showing the locked check mark in the middle of 3 photos - the one I'm unable to color code.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 01:03:54 PM »
That is just the tag checkbox.  It doesn't lock or unlock an image.

Right click on the image and choose "Reveal in Finder..." and then Get Info on the image.  Look at the permissions on the file at the bottom of the info window.  Do you have read and write permissions?

-Kirk

Offline nataworry

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 01:45:54 PM »
Interesting. Sadly, it says, "you can only read". Whereas other files, on the same card from the same session don't have that tag checkbox checked (because I didn't click on the lock icon for those images while the card was in my camera), have read/write access. I have been "locking" photos in camera for the longest time as a way to mark my favorites and have never had this problem. That said, I usually employ a different workflow that involves me not having to color-tag "locked" favorites.

Is there any workaround for this?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 05:18:32 PM »
Interesting. Sadly, it says, "you can only read". Whereas other files, on the same card from the same session don't have that tag checkbox checked (because I didn't click on the lock icon for those images while the card was in my camera), have read/write access. I have been "locking" photos in camera for the longest time as a way to mark my favorites and have never had this problem. That said, I usually employ a different workflow that involves me not having to color-tag "locked" favorites.

Is there any workaround for this?

Change the permission to read & write.  It should work fine then.  Also check to see if the file is Locked in the info window and uncheck it.

-Kirk

Offline nataworry

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 05:27:16 PM »
I appreciate that. Unfortunately that's a time consuming manual process that I want to avoid so I'll just have to write down fav file numbers and not lock them in camera.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 11:40:41 PM »
Thanks for your quick response. The files have already been ingested onto an external drive connected to my computer. I have no idea how to set permissions. I have been using PM for years and often import locked files. For some reason this has been an issue as of late. Maybe it's somehow related to me updating to the latest PM?

You can always try going back to an older version of PM5.  The Announcements board on the forums lists each of the versions and has download links to each build.  I would be interested to know simply reverting to an older build solves the problem.

-Kirk