Author Topic: Capture Date / File Create Date.  (Read 5043 times)

Offline ucs308

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Capture Date / File Create Date.
« on: October 29, 2016, 06:19:18 PM »
I have a bunch of files that have no capture date. I would like to set the capture date for those files to date the file was created. I can't find the command for that.

Is it possible? I tried the Adjust Capture Dates and Times, but it is not clear this is what I need.

Offline ucs308

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Capture Date / File Create Date.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 11:58:46 AM »
Should I open a support case for this?

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 01:45:28 PM »
I don't think you can achieve this with PM, for something like this I would advise to try exiftool.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 01:46:45 PM »
Before you open a support case, please provide some additional info.

1) I assume these are JPEG files?

2) What do you mean by "no capture date".  Is this because a variable like {date} returns a blank value?

3) The "capture date" comes from the Exif info.  It is possible the photos have no Exif information (because they were saved without this info).  If there is no Exif info, then PM will assume the "capture date" is the file's creation or modification time which is not reliable.

I would like more info about what you are trying to accomplish and perhaps a sample file by personal message.

--dennis

Offline ucs308

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 11:33:46 AM »
Answers..

1.) JPGS and MOV.
2.) Exif contains very limited data and no dates at all.
3.) Exif data is largely missing. These files have all been ingested by PM (including renaming).

Right now all I need to do is set the capture date to be same as the file creation date. The file creation date is closest to the date the image was "created".

I am using a mac and I couldn't find a Mac version of ExifInfo.

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 12:32:58 PM »
1.) JPGS and MOV.
2.) Exif contains very limited data and no dates at all.
3.) Exif data is largely missing. These files have all been ingested by PM (including renaming).

Right now all I need to do is set the capture date to be same as the file creation date. The file creation date is closest to the date the image was "created".

I am using a mac and I couldn't find a Mac version of ExifInfo.

PM shouldn't have any problem retrieving Exif info from JPEG files.  However, PM doesn't parse Exif for MOV files so there is limited info in PM.

Exif is the standard for storing camera generated metadata in photos (e.g. shutter, aperture, ISO, date/time, etc).  There is no "ExifInfo" application, but there is a utility online called ExifTool (by Phil Harvey) which is very useful but is somewhat "nerdy" because you need to install it and run it from the command line (e.g. Terminal).

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

I don't see why PM would not be showing your Exif data for JPEGs that have been ingested from the camera card.  Please send me a private message with a photo attached that has been ingested by PM.

--dennis