Author Topic: Easy cropping and straightening please?  (Read 4409 times)

Offline Naftoli

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Easy cropping and straightening please?
« on: October 21, 2016, 12:01:46 PM »
I much prefer cropping my Photos in Photo Mechanic to LR because there is no lag, however, it is quite annoying when many of my photos need to be cropped and straightened by just a tiny bit, this means you need to start dragging out the crop all the way in the corner of the photo

How difficult would it be for camera bits to add a crop box overlay by default (when in crop mode) that a user can simply straighten or crop there photos without having to draw a marquee crop over the whole image. (Similar to LR)

Lastly, maybe this would be asking too much but would love the option to set cropping hotkey presets, for instance in LR if you press "X" (in the crop module) the crop box will switch from horizontal to vertical or vice versa.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Easy cropping and straightening please?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 12:11:02 PM »
I much prefer cropping my Photos in Photo Mechanic to LR because there is no lag, however, it is quite annoying when many of my photos need to be cropped and straightened by just a tiny bit, this means you need to start dragging out the crop all the way in the corner of the photo

How difficult would it be for camera bits to add a crop box overlay by default (when in crop mode) that a user can simply straighten or crop there photos without having to draw a marquee crop over the whole image. (Similar to LR)

Sounds like you're asking for a full crop to be preset that you would then shrink down and rotate?  I could see adding a button to place one, but having every image that has no crop have a full crop appear if browsing with the crop tool active would be irritating to some.

Lastly, maybe this would be asking too much but would love the option to set cropping hotkey presets, for instance in LR if you press "X" (in the crop module) the crop box will switch from horizontal to vertical or vice versa.

We can assign a key to buttons in the code but we don't yet have user-assignable keyboard shortcuts.

-Kirk

Offline Naftoli

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 01:58:52 PM »
Wow thanx for the Reply Kirk!

Yes, that is essentially what I had in mind, although it will only be visible when in crop mode,(just like how it is currently). and also the ability to straighten slightly crooked photos withought needing to drag the marquee tool out (similar to LR)
Or, what if the crop overlay would only be visible once a user starts adjusting the crop by grabbing and dragging inward from outside of the picture

Offline mzachs

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • MagicalPhotos.com
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 03:11:03 PM »
Love it  :)
Hope this helps,

Mitchell Zachs
http://www.MagicalPhotos.com/
MAC OS 10.12.2, on a MacBook Pro Retina 2.33 Ghz Intel Core i7