Author Topic: CF card corruption and the new File>XMP writing  (Read 1665 times)

Offline juliarphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
CF card corruption and the new File>XMP writing
« on: October 24, 2016, 10:02:51 AM »
Hey team!

After updating to Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 17719 (c8049ca), I've been annoyed at the new warning about view-only files (see image below). I usually tag photos on the CF card and then import only the ones I've tagged (it saves me disc space and time). To clear this new warning I went to Preferences>Files>Allow Modification of Files on Camera Disks. Once I do this, I'm unable to format the CF cards on my Canon 5dm3 because of an Error70. If I hand delete the files on the CF card via the computer, I can once again format the CF cards on my camera. This seems like a new glitch as I've had the same workflow for years and never ran into this problem before. Is this just a brave new world with the PM update?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: CF card corruption and the new File>XMP writing
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 12:10:19 PM »
Hey team!

After updating to Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 17719 (c8049ca), I've been annoyed at the new warning about view-only files (see image below). I usually tag photos on the CF card and then import only the ones I've tagged (it saves me disc space and time). To clear this new warning I went to Preferences>Files>Allow Modification of Files on Camera Disks. Once I do this, I'm unable to format the CF cards on my Canon 5dm3 because of an Error70. If I hand delete the files on the CF card via the computer, I can once again format the CF cards on my camera. This seems like a new glitch as I've had the same workflow for years and never ran into this problem before. Is this just a brave new world with the PM update?

What's changed is that PM warns you that any changes that you would make on a camera card with the setting to allow modifications on the card will result in no changes being made.  We had a number of people complain that hours of edits were not saved (because they were not warned about the setting) so we added a warning.  This does not mean that you should enable the ability to make changes on the card.

If you enable writing on the card then your workflow is no longer the "same workflow for years", it has changed in that PM is now modifying your RAW files when you tell it to do so by making edits on the card.  Your camera does not like it when its RAW files are modified and gives you an error.  Switch your settings back to disallow changes on the card like you were doing before.  Yes, you'll have to see the warning box again.

-Kirk