Author Topic: Exporting into Lightroom  (Read 3035 times)

Offline shotis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Exporting into Lightroom
« on: October 26, 2016, 12:00:58 PM »
Hi,

I'm trying to export a selection of images into Lr that have been colour tagged in PM. If I bring up the selected imaged in PM (by colour tag), highlight the tagged images, then do Cmd E (on a Mac) to export into Lightroom, it just loads the entire folder into Lr rather than just the colour coded keepers.

Where am I going wrong?

Thanks

I'm running PM ver.5 build 17719 (c8049ca) / MacOS Sierra

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Exporting into Lightroom
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 01:16:51 PM »
You're not doing anything wrong. It's Lightroom that always behaves like this >:(
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 01:23:39 PM »
Try dragging the selected images from PM onto Lr instead.  I think this works better for most users.

-Kirk

Offline shotis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 01:28:20 PM »
Thanks Kirk,

I'll give this a go. Also, I started the culling of images in Lr, then switched to PM.

Now that I've finished the culling PM do I need to tell Lr to update it's original catalogue (re-scan the amp files) or anything like that?

Thanks again

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 01:54:04 PM »
Thanks Kirk,

I'll give this a go. Also, I started the culling of images in Lr, then switched to PM.

Now that I've finished the culling PM do I need to tell Lr to update it's original catalogue (re-scan the xmp files) or anything like that?

Yes, you must force Lr to read metadata from the files on disk or it will ignore any changes made outside of Lr.

-Kirk

Offline shotis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 03:11:33 PM »
Thanks Kirk,

All sorted now. Thanks again for all your help!

Offline Tony Hall

• View Profile
    • Tony Hall Photography
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 04:22:06 PM »
You're not doing anything wrong. It's Lightroom that always behaves like this >:(

Strange, it works fine for me. <shrug>

I can select one or a number of images in PM (from a folder full of images), hit Cmd-E, then LR will start up (or become active) and the import panel will open showing the entire folder of images but they are all dimmed (unticked/unselected), except for the ones I'd selected in PM which are undimmed and ticked/selected, ready for import; click 'Import' and only those few selected images are imported into LR for editing.

It's always worked like this for me, as I'd expect it to.
(FWIW - latest versions of PM & LRCC on OS X 10.11.6.)

Weird...fortunately the original poster now has a different working solution.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 10:29:23 PM »

I can select one or a number of images in PM (from a folder full of images), hit Cmd-E, then LR will start up (or become active) and the import panel will open showing the entire folder of images but they are all dimmed (unticked/unselected), except for the ones I'd selected in PM which are undimmed and ticked/selected, ready for import; click 'Import' and only those few selected images are imported into LR for editing.

You are right, it does show the images dimmed, but it does come up with an import dialog showing you everything. Worse, it even shows you the import dialog even if the images are already in LR at exactly that position. Something that I really really dislike about LR. That fact that it always insist on importing the file, even if e.g. you only want to work on a file temporarily (for instance, it is a file from someone else you just want to show something for) is quite stupefying...
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 10:47:20 PM by Hayo Baan »
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 03:00:05 AM »

You are right, it does show the images dimmed, but it does come up with an import dialog showing you everything. Worse, it even shows you the import dialog even if the images are already in LR at exactly that position. Something that I really really dislike about LR. That fact that it always insist on importing the file, even if e.g. you only want to work on a file temporarily (for instance, it is a file from someone else you just want to show something for) is quite stupefying...

Yes. And another thing that annoys me is the process of synchronizing folders every time I change something in PM.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi