Author Topic: Frame Metadata lost after renaming  (Read 3388 times)

Offline esotice

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Frame Metadata lost after renaming
« on: November 05, 2016, 09:17:38 AM »
Hello all,

I am new to this software and forum. I want to use the PM for renaming my files into something more unique and useful than IMG_XXXX. I decided on the date, time, camera model and frame as a naming convention. The renaming works easily enough, but here is my problem: after I rename a file, it loses its #Frame metadata. The next time I open PM, the frame number is gone from the metadata. This is problematic for me in case I ever want to rename again, as the frame number is missing! Can anyone help me out here? As you can see, the Frame #: is missing, and it was just there before changing the name.

I am running Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 17719 (c8049ca) and I run Mac OS X 10.11.6 on my Intel-based Mac.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 11:26:57 AM by esotice »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Frame Metadata lost after renaming
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 12:03:45 PM »
The frame number that PM is showing for your camera's images is derived from the filename.  Apparently your camera does not supply the required frame number tag in the images it produces so PM gets this value from the filename itself.  Once the file is renamed to not include the frame number PM cannot derive it anymore.

If you want, you can stash the derived frame number into IPTC/XMP metadata by using the IPTC Stationery Pad.  Pick a field you would otherwise not use and enter {frame4} in that field and then apply the IPTC Stationery Pad to your photos.  Now your images will have the frame number in their IPTC/XMP metadata.  You can rename them now and your frame number will remain preserved in the IPTC/XMP metadata.  To access the stashed frame number later, you would use the variable that corresponds to the field you chose to stash the frame number into.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline esotice

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 12:34:17 PM »
Thank you Kirk for your response. I will have a look at this option.

By the way, after doing a bit more testing, I realized that PM remembers the frame only in certain folders on my HDD, namely the ones that I originally ingested to. When I use PM and select other available folders from the sidebar, all the photos in these lose their frame. It seems that PM is storing such information somewhere, like in a database. It must have some way to store information anyway, such as tagged or selected photos. I wonder where this information exists? Also, can I just point PM to some root photos folder, so that it remembers the frame?

Thanks,

Tom

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 09:29:36 PM »
Tom,

Thank you Kirk for your response. I will have a look at this option.

By the way, after doing a bit more testing, I realized that PM remembers the frame only in certain folders on my HDD, namely the ones that I originally ingested to. When I use PM and select other available folders from the sidebar, all the photos in these lose their frame. It seems that PM is storing such information somewhere, like in a database. It must have some way to store information anyway, such as tagged or selected photos. I wonder where this information exists? Also, can I just point PM to some root photos folder, so that it remembers the frame?

PM5 does not store any of your metadata in a database.  I suspect that some of your images have actual metadata in them representing the frame number and some do not.  If you want me to verify that, please post a questionable image here and I'll investigate.

Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your image.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline esotice

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 02:09:41 AM »
Thanks Kirk. Here are two examples. The pic with the D5300 was taken by a 70D, and the sausage was taken by a Sony a6000.

Offline esotice

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 02:39:59 AM »
a6000.

Offline esotice

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 02:43:11 AM »
By the way Kirk, I have just one more important question. I quite like the functionality of PM, but what I wish it had was the ability to filter the shown photos. If for example I shot a wedding with two different cameras, and 4 lenses, I would like to at times just see photos taken from a certain camera with a fast lens. Media Pro SE by Phase One does this very well (on the downside, it does not support resolution for a 5k iMac).

How would you compare PM to Media Pro? It seems that Media Pro searches a root folder for all types of media, and catalogs their metadata in order to filter on exactly the parameters I want. Will this ever be possible with PM?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 04:00:13 PM »
By the way Kirk, I have just one more important question. I quite like the functionality of PM, but what I wish it had was the ability to filter the shown photos. If for example I shot a wedding with two different cameras, and 4 lenses, I would like to at times just see photos taken from a certain camera with a fast lens. Media Pro SE by Phase One does this very well (on the downside, it does not support resolution for a 5k iMac).

How would you compare PM to Media Pro? It seems that Media Pro searches a root folder for all types of media, and catalogs their metadata in order to filter on exactly the parameters I want. Will this ever be possible with PM?

This is something that we are actively working on every day.  Doing such filtering requires the use of a database.

I'll look into your pictures and get back to you later.

-Kirk